Windows only shows Mac apps for common file types

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dbinseattle, Apr 24, 2009.

1. dbinseattle

dbinseattle Bit poster

I recently installed the Windows version of an application (REALbasic) that I have a few different Mac versions of on my Mac Book Pro. It is running in Windows XP SP 3 in Parallels 4. It runs fine, but I cannot set REALbasic files to be identified as RB Windows files. I have tried setting the application to open these files to the Windows version of the application, but only the Mac versions show up in the Recommended or Other lists, and browsing to the Windows version of the application does not allow me to set it properly. I am guessing that all of the shared Mac applications that show up in Windows has something to do with this. Unfortunately, none of the extensive steps I have taken to turn off shared applications in Parallels has worked. I have gone as far as removing Parallels tools and making sure that all configuration checkboxes having to do with shared anything are unchecked. But as soon as I reinstall Parallels tools, the shared applications return.

Can anybody help with this problem? My bottom line is that I would like to be able to associate REALbasic files with RB for Windows when they are loaded on the Windows side. It would make me just as happy to get rid of the shared applications in Windows as well.

2. galochka

galochka Hunter

Hello,

If you wish to disable shared application: open Configuration Page (Configure ->) -> shared applications -> disable
    After that all file from Windows side you should open with Windows applications.

Also you may try to do the following:

click on file -> open with -> if there is no required application -> click on brose (in the same windows) and find the application

3. dbinseattle

dbinseattle Bit poster

I have tried disabling Shared Applications in the Configuration dialog so many times it's ridiculous. It simply doesn't work. I have also tried setting the application to launch RB files by clicking the Browse button numerous times. It never assigns the application I actually select (REALbasic), but assigns some other application I did not select. This is incredibly frustrating.