Windows update problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Mac Pro 5GB, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Mac Pro 5GB

Mac Pro 5GB Member

I cannot get window update to install 5 updates that are needed. I went through with the SP3 XP update no problem. I now need to update Office 2007, Visio, and a couple of security updates and they do not install. I get the failed to update message.

I have 5600 and 10.5.3. Windows XP SP3 installed. Any one else experiencing this?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

What is actual error?
    Are you using share profile?

3. Mac Pro 5GB

Mac Pro 5GB Member

4. Mac Pro 5GB

Mac Pro 5GB Member

Also just a note that I am not running boot camp.

5. John@Parallels

6. Mac Pro 5GB

Mac Pro 5GB Member

Also of note is that the updates are downloaded and on the computer, just not installing. I checked the document and switched to bridged networking but no help.

7. ggoodwin37

ggoodwin37 Bit poster

Hi,
    I'm having the exact same error. I used Microsoft update to install XP SP3 successfully, but now I have 4 updates downloaded that can't install. When I try to install them, they fail almost immediately with no helpful error message.

8. Mac Pro 5GB

Mac Pro 5GB Member

Exactly what happened to me. There must be something going on.

9. ggoodwin37

ggoodwin37 Bit poster

Bump? Anybody have any ideas about this problem?

I should mention that I recently upgraded to OS X 10.5.3 from 10.4. I had just created the WinXP VM with an SP2 disk, then installed SP3. Now I have 4 more updates downloaded but installation fails. The updates that are failing are:
    Security update for Flash, Windows XP update, IE 7, and Windows malicious software tool update.

Please help, this seems to be blocking my VPN access, which is the primary reason I purchased Parallels.

Thanks!

10. John@Parallels

Do you have antivirus software?
    If yes it can block installation, for example MacAffey, or Kaspersky
    Try to disable them, and check for updates again

11. ggoodwin37

ggoodwin37 Bit poster

No anti-virus is installed.

Is it possible that my product key is getting blocked somehow? It is a legit copy of windows xp, but I used the same windows install disk on a previous installation (I deleted that VM, though).

12. ggoodwin37

ggoodwin37 Bit poster

Found this in %windir%/WindowsUpdate.log:

2008-06-10 10:28:06:117 2500 f64 AUClnt FATAL: Error: 0x80004002. wuauclt handler: failed to spawn COM server
    2008-06-10 10:28:06:127 824 f0c Handler FATAL: 0x80004002: ERROR: Remote update handler container process created (PID: 2500), but exited before signaling event

13. ggoodwin37

ggoodwin37 Bit poster

Good news, I think I found the solution to this problem. It's described here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

I used "method 1" and was able to successfully install the updates, then download and install several more. In a nutshell, it seems that wups2.dll was not registered properly. Not sure what caused this, it seems like it must have been related to the sp3 update, but for some reason it only broke us, not everybody.

Anyways, hope it works for you.

-G

14. John@Parallels

http://www.wsuswiki.com/80070005

15. mismar

mismar Bit poster

I had this same exact problem today. I tried "method 1" as well and the updates are installing now.

ggoodwin37...thanks for the help!!

16. LeftCoast_Dave

LeftCoast_Dave Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.