Windows won't boot

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rockaday, Jul 14, 2006.

1. rockaday

rockaday Bit poster

My newbe friend just bought a new Macbook. She installed Parallels and XP. Parallels starts up but when you start the VM windows won't boot (see attached screenshots). I tried uninstall and reinstall with no luck. I've been using Parallels since beta 6 with no problems. What are we doing wrong?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. andymac

andymac Bit poster

That's strange - looking at the second screenshot it looks like there's nothing loaded up on your virtual drive - but you've installed XP ? The only other thing that looks different to mine is that the RAM for XP is quite low.

Sorry that's not much help !

3. blackmonday

blackmonday Bit poster

I can't see the attached images but it sounds like the same problem I'm having. I have been using Parallels build 1848 since it's launch with no problems until today. When I start up the VM it reverts back to the Parallels screen. No error message. Nothing... I have alot of info I on the HDD and now there is no way to access it!?

4. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

I've had the .pvs file line cleared out once (dunno if I did it inadvertantly or not). In case that's the problem, make sure it's pointing at the right file.

5. blackmonday

blackmonday Bit poster

Everything is as it should be and pointing to the right place. I've created a new HDD and installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro and it works fine. So I added another HD and pointed that to the original HDD and the problem comes back. If I disable the second HD and use only the new one it works again.

Is there anyway to recover a Parallels HDD image?