Windows XP Installation Hangs at 39 Minutes - HELP!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Vonne, May 8, 2008.

1. Vonne

Vonne Bit poster

I am sending this message out into the cosmos with the hope that some computer guru has pity on me and helps me before I go crazy! I have spent about 10 hours now researching this issue and trying the various fixes.

Here's the scoop:

I have a brand new macbook with the Leopard OS. I have installed Parallels 3.0 and am attempting to install Windows XP from a legit installation CD purchased at a retail store. I successfully used this CD to install Windows on an earlier version of Parallels on our Mac mini. Nothing seems to work. I have tried the solution where you stop the VM and adjust the configuration. I have tried uninstalling and installing all elements. I have tried 'Custom" installation rather than 'Express". I have tried using bootcamp instead but had another issue with that 'no bootable disk"....we won't even go there!

Anyone have the magic pill to stop the pain?!?

2. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Mayby you can try first updating your parallels copy. Last version is 5584..

Don't know what version you have?

Also xp most have sp2......

3. Vonne

Vonne Bit poster

Thanks for the reply!

Yup...I'm on Build 5584 (January 16, 2008)... :-(

4. ruel

ruel Member

I'm not clear on whether you are stuck in doing a custom install of XP after failing on an express install of XP. Or if you didn't try the express install at all? I've been able to do Parallels express installs of clean-completely-new-installs of XP SP2 and XP SP3 under Parallels build 5584 on a Macbook running Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger.

5. Vonne

Vonne Bit poster

I tried doing a Custom after a couple of failed attempts with Express. I, too, had no problem installing XP on Parallels using Tiger. At my wit's end, I attempted to install Vista instead of XP, and it works beautifully! [Go figure!] I'm thinking that it was a Leopard/Parallels/XP issue. Who knows?

At any rate, thanks so much for the response. It was kind of you to have pity on me. Best wishes! :)

6. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

7. ruel

ruel Member

There's that new Parallels build 5600 (which came out the other day on May 9) that you could check to see if that works better for you.

8. ruel

ruel Member

That message thread also talks about disconnecting all external USB peripherals. Sounds weird but also worth a try.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  9. michael_aos@mac.com

michael_aos@mac.com Member

I'm having the same issue. Very old original WinXP Pro (pre-SP2).

Parallels Desktop 3.0, build 5584.

Mike

10. coopertino

coopertino Bit poster

Exactly the same issue here. I've go the latest 24' iMac and I just purchased Parallels from their own web site. Genuine XP Professional CD. Installations gets stuck at 39 min . Please help !!!
    Thanks.

11. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

12. coopertino

coopertino Bit poster

XP install

Hi , thanks very much for your response.

My copy does say :
    Current version: Build 5608

So, what I did, I tried what someone suggested earlier :

* I deleted the hanging VM (in the Parallels menu go File --> Delete)
    * I reinstalled, this time picking Custom , Other Windows
    * installation went through w/o a problem this time
    * I then went and shutdown the new running VM (Start --> Shutdown ...)
    * then in the Parallels initial window, command-click on the windows icon.
    This will open the Configuration Editor. Change OS Version to Windows XP.

Hope this helps others who have the same issue.

Thanks