windows xp pre-vm-'hibernation' script

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by DOCa Cola, Jun 13, 2008.

1. DOCa Cola

DOCa Cola Member

could you please integrate a 'run application on parallels hibernation' into parallels tools? we are running a database client application within a windows xp virtual machine.
    when the host computer is turned off, parallels sends windows xp into hibernation, which is alright. but there is a problem with it when this database client software still runs.
    after the host system is bootet up again and the parallels machine resumed, the db software cannot connect to the database server anymore (that is of course no fault of parallels, but the programmers of this db app), it is even not possible to shutdown this application but with the task manager. a script that is ran prior the hibernation within windows would be quite useful to shutdown this application. i think vmware has something similar

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Hibernate is a feature seen in many operating systems where the contents of RAM is written to non-volatile storage, such as the hard disk (as either a file or on a separate partition) before powering off the system - OS is not running in this case.
    Maybe you need to use Standby instead?

3. DOCa Cola

DOCa Cola Member

when i shut down the os x host system while parallels is running, it is triggering the hibernation on the guest windows xp system. just before parallels does this, a script by parallels tools could be triggered. i have seen this possibility in the windows version of vmware workstation (vmware tools).

edit: here is a screenshot from vmware tools (in german) from a windows 2000 guest running under vmware fusion for mac. it has options for executing bat scripts on halting, resuming (even for startup and shutdown, i assume these scripts are ran at service level or something)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008