Windows XP Pro installation issue

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by wyomingtim, Jun 22, 2006.

1. wyomingtim

wyomingtim Bit poster

I had a bit of trouble getting Microsoft to give me a new code to authenticate my Windows XP Pro installation on the mac.

I purchased Windows with a Dell, and am no longer using the Dell. According to Microsoft, if Windows came preinstalled on a machine, you are not entitled to move it to another machine, even if your first machine crashes. Also according to Microsoft, your new machine must have a 25 digit product key code on it, imprinted on a multicolored label. They want that code. Since macs don't come with one, Microsoft doesn't want to give you the authentication id necessary to reinstall Windows.

After a half hour of discussion and repeated requests to speak to a manager, the rep gave me the code allowing the installation on my mac, but what a pain.

I would suggest telling them that you purchased XP as a stand alone product (not preinstalled) and that you built a pc from scratch, hence no sticker. The rep couldn't grasp that I was installing XP onto an Apple computer.

Obviously, you must own the Windows OS, and have the disk (or prior computer) with the original product key code.

2. jimjoe

jimjoe Bit poster

The rep was right. The Windows you bought with the Dell computer is an OEM edition that is licensed for that machine only. The price of OEM Windows is about 1/3 or 1/4 price of retail Windows but in exchange for the discount the license doesn't allow you to transfer the software to any other computer. If you want a copy of Windows that can be transferred from one computer to another you have to buy the $300 retail version. Read the license agreement that came with your Dell copy of Windows. They gave you a code to get you off the phone but the OEM copy of Windows you're running on the Mac is not properly licensed for that situation.

3. wyomingtim

wyomingtim Bit poster

Thanks for the insight. I did not realize that. Seems fair enough, given the discount.

4. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

$300? You mean the full version of Windows XP Professional?

Too expensive in my opinion. Consider using the Home edition or an upgrade edition (if you have a CD of a previous version of Windows). Much cheaper.

A new OEM version of Windows XP can also be bought for a much lower price than US$300, I believe. Though it will also be "restricted" to the machine you intend to use it on.

Speaking of which, I personally am suspicious about whether there is truly such a "deep" discount for the OEM license that come preinstalled with those PCs as the price is included with the price of the PCs. We will never know for sure. And I believe that I should have a choice of not getting a preinstalled OEM Windows license when buying a new PC if there are so many restrictions in place.:mad: (And that's why I built my own PCs and never bought any PC from these vendors.)

[​IMG]

5. jensw

jensw Member

Microsoft Windows XP Pro SB is sold for about 130€ here in germany. So it isn't really that expensive.

Best regards,
    Jens