Windows XP Update not working

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LCPGUY, Feb 17, 2008.

1. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

I am using Parallels 5584 and just upgraded to Leopard 10.5.2.

I am using Windows XP and I did re-install Parallels.

Everything seems to be working just fine, except that Windows Update fails by just showing the green search bar for eons. I never get any recommended updates. I don't even get any error messages. I first tried it yesterday morning, then in the afternoon, and again today. No luck.

After 20 minutes of searching, I have to quit IE7. It used to only take a minute or two at most. I used the M$ Genuine Advantage check, and it said I was legit. All other web-sites work properly.

Thanx in advance for any and all help.

2. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

Any help with this would be appreciated. Windows update works fine in Boot Camp so I suspect this to be a Parallels and/or 10.5.2 issue.

3. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

I downloaded and installed Fusion and its Parallels converter.

Works great and the M$ Update works fine under Fusion. I just may stick with Fusion as the Parallels support folks couldn't even bother to respond to my initial post.

If something as simple as a M$ update won't work, it makes me wonder what else will pop up???

I have really liked Parallels, and still do. But their lack of participation in their Support Forum does concern me.

And yes, I'm sure I will run into glitches in Fusion as well. But their support team seems much more interested in their users. Maybe?

Oh well, I got 30 days to put Fusion thru its paces.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

M$ Update works fine under 10.5.2 on my laptop.

5. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

It did on my iMac too. But that was then and this is now.

I called M$ but was told they don't support XP under Parallels or Fusion. They only support it in a native environment, of which Boot Camp qualifies.

Bummer!!!

John

6. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

Problem Solved

What I didn't say was that when using Bootcamp and Fusion, they were on my work iMac. Paralles is on my home iMac.

So, I installed Fusion here at home and low and behold Win Update stalled out on it too.

The problem was that on my home iMac, the NAT router was set to block ActiveX components. I disabled that and all is well again. Not a Paralles issue, but some response from them would have been nice. Oh well...

In case anyone else has this problem, you'll know what to check, i.e., your router and what it's blocking.

John