WindowsMobile5.0 PDA at USB working or not?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by patrykpiper, Apr 30, 2006.

1. patrykpiper

patrykpiper Bit poster

Hello, i try it but didn´t work. It´s normal, because not supported?

2. patrykpiper

patrykpiper Bit poster

hmmmmmmmmmmm

3. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Hello patrykpiper,
    So how it didn't work, what's happened? I was able to connect my iPaq 4150 to the guest XP.
    Please, probide some more info so we can try to help you and understand, what's wrong.

4. palmsolo

palmsolo Junior Member

I tried my Windows Mobile 5.0 device and I think I know what is causing the problem. With ActiveSync 4.x (required for WM 5.0 devices) I believe Microsoft is using TCP/IP through USB and thus when you go into the System Hardware properties you will see a Windows Mobile device listing under Network Adapters. I couldn't find a way to emulate multiple network adapters, but will look into this more.

I'll try my Nokia Smartphones and Palm devices too in order see if they will sync via USB.

5. patrykpiper

patrykpiper Bit poster

I have the same Problem like palmsolo.

My windowsmobiledevice is listing under "network adapter".

6. patrykpiper

patrykpiper Bit poster

7. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Perhaps just to verify that is the cause you could try temporarily disabling the emulated network card on the machine. I have a WM5 device so I'll try this myself when I get a chance.

8. MacChelsea

MacChelsea Junior Member

I'd be very interested to know what you've found. Thanks for sharing in advance.

9. simpleton

simpleton Bit poster

I am able to see my PocketPc as a USB device, and it will connect with activesync 4.1, however, it will freeze just after beginning its synchronization. My PocketPC is running Windows Mobile 2003.

10. tech_head

tech_head Member

HI,

My Treo 700w (WM5) is recognized as a WM device and that's about as far as it goes.
    It sees it as a network device and not USB. Doesn't show up in the device manager as a USB device. I think I'll look and see what a real windows machine does.

11. tech_head

tech_head Member

Hi,

An update to my last post.
    I checked the settings against a real Windows machine and it looks like the driver never starts.
    I don't know why. It does see the device as a WM device/network adapter.
    The driver doesn't load so the device functions don't start. I'd be willing to help debug this problem, I'm just not sure how to go about making it work.

tech

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  12. patrykpiper

patrykpiper Bit poster

at my realy windows computer i have the device in usb listing.

13. tech_head

tech_head Member

My Treo 700 only shows up inthe network adapters.
    The drivers never get loaded so it never talks under Parallels.
    Parallels also won't let me try to maually install drivers. Why I try to let is search for hardware, it goes off o he weeds.

Since it does find the device in the network adapters and it looks like all the drivers that should be there are ther. I think it more of an internal communication problem.

The WM5 device wants to start up and tries to sync with the PC (Parallels) it just the device gets no response. I have instaled Activesync 4.1. 4.2 is in beta and since I already can't use the virtual macine to talk to the device, I've got nothing to lose.

tech

14. palmsolo

palmsolo Junior Member

Success syncing a Windows Mobile 5.0 device!

OK, it took me a couple days, but here is my report:

With both the Palm (Treo 650) and Series 60 Smartphones (Nokia N70 and N90) I keep getting the error that the USB port is busy with another application and cannot figure out how to free this up. So the bottom line is that I cannot get either of these devices to sync up.

With my Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone I have had better luck after trying a trick I learned while testing the alpha version of The Missing Sync software. This trick will only work on certain devices and I am using the i-mate SP5m Smartphone (also sold in the US by Cingular and T-Mobile with a couple different names).

Anyways to get this device syncing like a champ via the USB cable you need to navigate to the Accessories folder on your Smartphone. Then launch the USBSwitch utility (only present on certain devices). In here switch from the default RNDIS (network) mode to Serial mode and press the Yes soft key. I also made sure I had a serial port setup in WS, but I am not sure if this is necessary. I then launched WS and plugged in my USB cable and now get fully syncing and other functionality with my device and I am now very, very close to removing my Boot Camp partition.

15. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

That sounds promising palmsolo. However, my iMate doesn't appear to have that program. Could you possibly mail it to me or upload it somewhere so I can try it too? If you mail it I'll upload somewhere so everyone can have a go.

16. palmsolo

palmsolo Junior Member

maverick808, I sent you a PM since I found the file. Check your PM and send me an email so I can get you the file and you can share it please. Thanks.

17. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

18. tech_head

tech_head Member

Any instructions on how to get it to work?
    Just switching to serial and having a serial port under Paralles doesn't do it. (didn't think it would)
    So what is the procedure??

Do I need to go outside and sacrifice a chicken or something?

tech

19. palmsolo

palmsolo Junior Member

I think there is one last step that hasn't been mentioned yet and that is that you must first go into ActiveSync in Windows. Go to File>Connection Settings and then make sure the box next to "Allow connections to one of the following" is checked. After you check it then the COM1 port should go from gray to black lettering with a white background. Mine worked with COM1 selected.

Other than that it really is as easy as what you have done so far and no chickens will have to sacrificed in the process :D

20. tech_head

tech_head Member

Still a no go for me.
    I tried using the utility on my Treo 700 and it appears to switch.
    When I try to connect nothing happens. I've tried setting up a com port on the Parallels machine.
    I also tried on a real XP macine with similar results. I never connect.

On the PC serial does not work for me over USB with a Treo 700.