WinXP bluescreens with beta 5

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bripirie, Apr 29, 2006.

1. bripirie

bripirie Bit poster

Has anyone else been getting semi-regular bluescreens in WinXP in beta 5? I never saw this in beta 4 or before. I get the WinXP blue screen of death for a second, then parallels reboots. Each time it's happened, I've been doing something different, so I don't yet see any pattern.

2. jsolderitsch

jsolderitsch Member

I had seen this with beta 5 on a VM that was originally created with beta 3 and then successfully updated to beta 4 and then beta 5.

For me, I could almost always BSOD the XP VM if I tried to use the Windows Explorer app -- the one you get by double clicking the Computer icon in XP.

I got so annoyed that I deleted the old VM and created a brand new XP install using beta 5 from my XP/SP2 install CD.

I was even able to authenticate the new VM with Microsoft with no hassles.

Since then things are relatively stable but I am still having problems with the Explorer app sometimes leading to a hung VM, especially if I use it after I suspend and then resume the VM.

For now, I am swearing off suspends and resumes in favor of a Windows shutdown and then needing to re-boot. Seems slower but safer.

3. Don Sullivan

Don Sullivan Bit poster

I had the same things when I installed B5. My VM had been created wtih B3 and used with B4 and then B5. It ran great under B5 until the first time I tried to use share folders, after that it would bluescreen withiin 5 seconds of finishing the boot process and I couldn't recover it. After fighting with it for a day I ended up deleting the VM and starting over again. I haven't tried shared folders again yet.