Wireless Networking Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tomyknoker, May 25, 2008.

1. tomyknoker

tomyknoker Junior Member

I can't seem to get my install of Vista to work with Parallels, I change the Network Adapter to my wireless network but it just puts a cross in there when I do that... Any ideas?

2. tomyknoker

tomyknoker Junior Member

When I click "Turn on network discovery" in Vista it just ignores this request, I am presuming this is because my wireless preferences aren't set up in Parallels correctly...

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You need to install Parallels Tools and Network driver in Vista
    1. Connect Parallels Tools CD image (vmtools.iso) to VM. You can find

Parallels Tools CD image at the /Library/Parallels/Tools folder.

2. In the Windows Vista Start menu, go to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager and select

Network Adapters -> Parallels Network Adapter in the left panel. Double click it.

3. Choose Driver -> Update Driver... -> Browse for driver software on your computer. Point the path to your CD.

4. When Windows asks you what driver to use, you should point to:

Drivers/Network/RTL8029/Win2000.XP.ME.2003 on your virtual CD-ROM.

4. tomyknoker

tomyknoker Junior Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

5. tomyknoker

tomyknoker Junior Member

Hi guys, have been playing aroung more and managed to get it working sort off... Parallels seems to see my Apple AirPort and when I plugged in my printer to my computer, Windows Vista told me that it had been plugged in, but I still can't connect to the Network, it tells me this machine does not have a wireless device installed but my iMac does... Any ideas?

6. tomyknoker

tomyknoker Junior Member

Hi John,

I found step 1 ok, but then do I drag the vmtools.iso, onto my Vista Desktop? I can't seemt o get past that point...

7. tomyknoker

tomyknoker Junior Member

Anyone know what I am doing wrong? How do I install the .iso into Parallels?

8. John@Parallels

Iso image is CD image, when you add it to VM, content can be inspected, when you browse CD in Windows

9. tomyknoker

tomyknoker Junior Member

Hi John,

So I am in the Windows Vista page should I close down Vista? And then attach the iso image? THis is the part I don't understand exactly how I "add to VM"?

10. tomyknoker

tomyknoker Junior Member

Hi all, I have got it all to work, and everything seems fine except now if I run parallels I can't print either from the Mac or Parallels/Vista... All the drivers are installed, it just hangs when being sent to print any ideas? It's a HP LaserJet 1020

11. nick veikos

nick veikos Bit poster

getting iso into vm

Tommy, how did you finally get the tools iso into the vm?

12. John@Parallels

Please use steps described in Parallels Desktop for Mac user guide on page 135

13. nick veikos

nick veikos Bit poster

I got it...works great.Thanks.Had to load tools from the menu.

14. PToomeyJr

PToomeyJr Member

I'm trying to follow this thread to get wireless working on my Vista laptop (it works fine when running Mac-OS) and do not yet have a full understanding of this post. Can someone help me? I am running build 4.0.3540 and Vista Home Premium. First, I cannot find VMtools.iso. Will I find this on the Mac side or within the Vista? Has the name of this changed since this post was made and the 4.0 version came about? For now I won't ask any more questions until I get past step #1.

Thanks,

Patrick
    Charlottesville, VA

15. desgael

desgael Pro

The tools are on a Mac side. To mount them you need to do the following:

1. In Parallels menu, open Virtual Machine -> Configure -> CD/DVD-ROM 1
    2. Select "Image file" instead of "Real Device".
    3. Click "Choose" button and navigate to Library -> Parallels -> Tools -> prl-tools-win.iso

As you see, the name has changed indeed.
    Once mounted, the Tools would appear in Vista as a CD.

16. PToomeyJr

PToomeyJr Member

Okay, I have gotten all the way down to step #2 below. When I go to network adaptors there is nothing named 'parallels network adaptor,' but I have something called 'parallels ethernet adaptor.' This sounds like a wired adaptor. So I proceed anyway, and I see the D; drive (my parallels tools drive. There is a triangle that should allow me to click it so I can see the subdirectory stuff, but when I click it nothing cascades for me to choose. I click update, and I get a message that the parallels ethernet adaptor' is already installed. I then went to see if it made any difference to me seeing files on my other mac, and it did not.. Sharing is enabled. on my other desktop mac. Can you steer me one more time in the right direction? Thanks for everything so far. I feel that you have gotten me close to the goal, but I need to get into the end zone.

Patrick

You need to install Parallels Tools and Network driver in Vista
    1. Connect Parallels Tools CD image (vmtools.iso) to VM. You can find

Parallels Tools CD image at the /Library/Parallels/Tools folder.

2. In the Windows Vista Start menu, go to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager and select

Network Adapters -> Parallels Network Adapter in the left panel. Double click it.

3. Choose Driver -> Update Driver... -> Browse for driver software on your computer. Point the path to your CD.

4. When Windows asks you what driver to use, you should point to:

Drivers/Network/RTL8029/Win2000.XP.ME.2003 on your virtual CD-ROM.

17. John@Parallels

Please see, you will not see wireless in Vista, you can attach AirPort to Virtual machine, but it still will be shown as Ethernet adapter
    And you have it installed , from VM configuration you can now bind adapter to Ethernet or to Airport, but please note, you will not be able to see wireless in Vista, only Ethernet

18. Matt D'Arcy

Matt D'Arcy Bit poster

Yeah I can't even find the VMTOOLS.iso. nor In my library can I find the Parallels Folder. I'm a newb with macs so.. :(

19. I-che

I-che Pro

Matt, you are probably using Parallels Desktop 5, and this thread refers to Parallels Desktop 4 initially (you won't find vmtools.iso in PD 5). What is your question?

20. DaneM

DaneM Bit poster

Hi john ,
    i also have a problem. it wont let me connect to my wireless network when im running parallels on my mac book pro. I diagnose the problem and it says install wireless networking hardware and verify that the correct drivers are loaded. I do have parallel tools installed too so i dont know what the problem is