won't wake up

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by geofcorb, Aug 21, 2007.

1. geofcorb

geofcorb Junior Member

I am increasingly having difficulty waking up my suspended Vista Enterprise virtual machine in Parallels (build 4560).

Before shutting down my Mac (MBP) or putting it to sleep, my habit has been to suspend my Vista VM and then close Parallels. This has seemed the most reliable way to ensure that when I started Parallels up again, my Vista VM would be able to resume and continue operating. Recently, I have observed an alarming increase in the frequency of times when I have attempted to resume my Vista VM and Parallels hangs... the icon in the dock spins as an hourglass forever and the only way out seems to be to force-quit Parallels and suffer the consequences of having effectively shut down the Vista VM in mid-operation. (So far-- knock on wood-- Vista has been forgiving, but I think it is only a matter of time before it isn't so.)

Any ideas?

- GC

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

yes never suspend a VM

shut it down normally like any old PC

next time run PC Health from MS to fix registary errors and more

Hugh W

3. geofcorb

geofcorb Junior Member

Sounds like a work-around. If the feature is there, should it not work properly?

4. murdocdv

murdocdv Junior Member

The feature should totally work properly. Suspending the VM should be just like "sleeping" a native OS install.

I just ran into this problem when trying to wake up my Windows Server 2003 VM. I attached a sample of the Parallels process when it won't wake up.

Attached Files:

5. murdocdv

murdocdv Junior Member

perhaps I spoke a tad to soon. Parallels FINALLY work up my VM, after 5 minutes of the icon spinning in the Dock, then the "normal" 2 minute or so delay before the VM was usable.

Still, the amount of time it took to resume the VM to a usable state is totally unacceptable

6. RojarB

RojarB Bit poster

ounds like a work-around. If the feature is there, should it not work properly?