Word 2007 SLOW LOAD

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tedray, Jun 5, 2008.

1. tedray

tedray Bit poster

I am running XP Pro SP2 on my new Macbook Pro Leopard/4GIG RAM. Whenver I open MS Word 2007, or open a Word file after Word 2007 program is up and running, I have wait on the rainbow spinning ball for quite awhile, 30 sec to a minute, before the files will open, or before the program will load. While the ball spins, the computer is total tied up, cannot do anything but wait. Help!

Ted

2. brainee28

brainee28 Junior Member

First, check and see if you have any Word Add-Ins loaded.

From Word, use the Office Button, then Word Options.

If you have Word Add-Ins loaded, disable them and see if that helps.

Also, Word searches for a printer each time it opens up. Check to see that you have a printer installed (even if it isn't working).

3. tedray

tedray Bit poster

Still Waiting on the Spinning Rainbow Circle!!

I've searched and searched, and I've tried everything that's been suggested--made sure Word is not searching for a printer, disabled Word Add-Ons, adjusted the RAM of my Virtual XP Pro to 2 GIG--no change. Opening the program takes almost a minute, same for opening files, same for opening a blank new document. This is killing my time on task! Does anyone know of any other possible solutions? I'm about ready to go back to a PC just so I can run MS Word 2007 efficiently--this waiting is eating up SO much time as I do the majority of my work using MS Word files (professor, reading/grading/commenting on student dissertations, papers, comprehensive exams . . .) Help, Help, Help!!!

Thanks!

Ted

4. tomsiko

tomsiko Bit poster

Check to see that your not booting Word in Compadibiliy mode. This loads extra drivers and can cause word to load very slowly.

I used to have this issue on my PC before switching to MAC. Go into Word Preferences under advanced to turn this feature off. The only downside is when saving to pre 2007 file type you will have to change the setting at the time of saving. You should still be able to open 2003 (or before) files with no issue.

5. scorpionsix

scorpionsix Junior Member

I used to have the same exact problem and it drove me CRAZY! I use Parallels primarily at work where there are multiple Network printers, due to my connection type (wifi vs. cable) I often noticed that some of those printers IP Address were not reachable for whatever reason.

As a work around for my Parallels install, I decided to use the functionality of the shared parallel port for my default printer on my Host OS (OS X 10.5.3). Before starting your Guest OS, you can choose the option to share your MAC OS X printer in Parallels. Then in Windows XP, all you need to verify is that the HP 8500 {or} corresponding Printer driver is installed and set to your default printer.

Once I did this, Windows Office 2007 began opening really quickly from either a shortcut or from an existing document.

Screenshot: #1
    [​IMG]

Screenshot: #2
    [​IMG]

Screenshot: #3
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  6. tedray

tedray Bit poster

Thanks, guys! Tried all of these fixes, still no change. This is really a pain. And, the folks at Parallels have offer NO help at all, despite my pleas for assistance. Beginning to doubt this company's ethics, seems to be no real support once they have your money. No phone support, and email support is tentative at best. Oh well, live and learn. Guess I'm going to have to use bootcamp instead. I know it works, I've learned that Parallels does not.

Ted

7. scorpionsix

scorpionsix Junior Member

Do you have any additional add in's installed on your "Right-Click" menu in Windows XP? I had a path-to-url program running that was also a problem when opening up Office 2007. I tried the bootcamp route to when I was experiencing this problem and found out that bootcamp has its own set of annoying bugs - big one being trying to re-size your partition when you run out of space.

In the end, I recreated my parallels image, installed the Windows XP SP3 update and the new Office Updates. For the past 3 months I have had no problems with XP or Office 2007.

Hope you have better luck with BootCamp!

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Take a look at the following links, it is not Parallels Desktop problem

http://pastorrod.blogspot.com/2007/03/why-is-office-2007-slow.html
    http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/665630-loading-word-slow-100-cpu.html
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/mic...81-microsoft-word-2007-loading-very-slow.html

It is just first page from googling "Word 2007 is slow"
    From Parallels I can suggest following:
    1. Disable antivirus integration.
    2. Set memory for Vm to less than 1 GB
    3. Set Adjust memory limit to Manual on Parallels Desktop -Preferences -Memory to Manual, scroll to a bit more than value for VM
    4. Try to perform repair for MS Office
    5. Perform virus scan may be template is infected?