Working XP and Mac Photographer

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bigbob, Dec 17, 2006.

1. bigbob

bigbob Member

I installed Parallels in my new iMac pentium processor. I need help setting up Parallesl
    All I want to do is Transfer Images from the Mac to XP and back to the Mac.. There are a lot of programs I use on images that mac does not support. My workflow - Download images to the Mac ("Raw) Work in Lightroom and Photoshop. Now transfer several that need special work to PC. I have down loaded and read all info on Parallels I just can't finger it out. Tech support helped set up program. It works but could be more efficient. Time is money. I was using 2 computers, liked the idea of one computer with XP and Mac .... Need help. thanks in advance. bigbob

2. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Great solution to be found using "Shared Folders" in Tools

Hey, Bob! You made me laugh a little when I first read about your new iMac "Pentium". Ha. Thanks.

You should be able to accomplish what you want simply by setting up the Parallels "shared folders" to include the location where your photos are stored on the Mac. You'll be able to read and write to and from this folder in Parallels and in OS X seamlessly. It's really cool.

You'll obviously need Tools installed, and then go into the VM configuration to setup your shared folders. I'm actually using Bootcamp natively right now, so I can't detail for you the exact steps to set it up. But if you're still lost, just let us know and I or someone will take you through the steps.

Now that I think about it, you may be able to access the shared folders config by double-clicking on the Parallels Tools icon in the system tray of your XP virtual OS. I just can't remember right now, though I'm trying to help you out as much as I can...

Good luck.

3. bigbob

bigbob Member

Thanks for the help. My other question is SWITCHING from XP to Mac with out closing down XP several time while working on Images.... I am a retired Newpaper Photographer trying to supplement my income. Bob

4. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

With Tools installed, you should be able to glide from XP to OS X in one move with your mouse, unless you have the XP at full screen. If so, just use the key combination ALT-ENTER to escape full screen in Parallels and then you can move to OS X. You could also use the key combination that is set to give OS X focus of your mouse, and then press APPLE-TAB to move from Parallels to other applications that are open in OS X. You won't have to close Parallels or your XP virtual machine at all.

Another option is to use Coherence (if you have downloaded the latest BETA version) to enable Parallels to put your XP apps on the OS X screen. This is a very handy feature that perhaps you should play with. Unfortunately I am having a problem with Coherence freezing my mouse pointer, and I have to re-install the Tools driver for mouse to get it working properly again. This is with my Bootcamp VM. I was going to post regarding this issue to see if I could get some help with it.

Hope this helps you out! Good luck with your plans...

5. bigbob

bigbob Member

Thanks for the reply Bob