Write Bootcamp NTFS partition

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by lazy, Apr 18, 2007.

1. lazy

lazy Bit poster

I have installed 3188 and install WinXP. I can mount the Bootcamp Windows XP partition and can read it but unable to write it. Is there any way to do so? Windows XP partition is mounted by OSX (R/W)

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

this is a limitation in osx. It does not support writing to ntfs partitions.

3. Rich White

Rich White Member

4. lazy

lazy Bit poster

Do you guys have any experience with any of these? Would you use it in productive environment?

5. wesley

wesley Pro

The MacFUSE solution may interfere with Parallels, however. If you're just using BootCamp, it'l be fine.

BTW, the only links you need to consider are:
    http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/ (Install this first)
    and the second link Rich White put up there (binary made by ShadowOfGed).

The first link is basically the MacUpdate's pointer to the second link, and unless you want in some manual compiling action, third link is irrelevant. ShadowOfGed already made a fully working binary with installer.

6. wesley

wesley Pro

I've been using this for several months, and it's been quite good. The NTFS-3G guys do say it's good for the production environment as long as you use the builds marked stable (1.328 is a stable build). NTFS-3G's website is http://www.ntfs3g.org .

7. lazy

lazy Bit poster

Done and seems to work fine. Mounting I did manually. Do I need to do it every time I boot? Can I automate?

Thanks

8. Rich White

Rich White Member

If you use the "ShadowOfGed" installer package, it should auto-mount. You can also paste a nice icon on the volume - I found a Vista icon somewhere...