x64 Emulation working well so far

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 16 for M1 Mac Technical Preview' started by Mundford, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Mundford

Mundford Bit Poster

I'm pretty happy with this tech preview so far. After the original setup performance was very (very) good, but it has become part of my toolbox on the M1 MacBook Pro 16G since installing the Windows 10 Insider Preview 21277.1000 (rs_prerelease) that includes x64 emulation.

My target was to run various copies of FileMaker Pro, MS Office and hopefully SQLExpress. Initially I failed installing FileMaker, but resolved this by removing all
    Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable entries in the Apps & features list, then downloaded and installed the preview version of the ARM64 C++ redistributable from: https://aka.ms/arm64previewredist (FileMaker then subsequently installed its own 2017 version, but this has not caused any problems).

Since then, nearly everything I've tried has worked. I have 3 copies of FileMaker installed, downloaded Office from my 365 account, some utilities such as S3 Browser and the latest version of Edge. So far it has been rock solid and I'm already starting to rely on it for cross-platform work.

The one failure has been SQLEXPRESS 2019 and tools v18, which reported errors during installation and needs more attention or it will not work yet. Has anyone had success with this?

The interface is slightly confusing as I prefer to keep my VMs independent of my Mac file structure, but I haven't investigated options as yet. Parallels is taking about half my RAM and the performance is pretty amazing.

The only thing that has failed after installation was to create a PDF using any of the options in the print dialogue box, but this could have been down to the web page source.

RadoslavS likes this.
  2. RadoslavS

RadoslavS Bit Poster

I am OK so far as well. SAP GUI 7.40 + BW + VPN

3. ParallelsU541

ParallelsU541 Bit Poster

do you think if the beta version will have x64 emulation in the future?
    or I have to move to dev channel to use x64 emulation even in the future? thanks

4. kunnado

kunnado Bit Poster

Have you tried MS Teams or any VPN software? I had trouble with Checkpoint VPN...had to download and run Capsule instead (which is a mobile app).

5. RadoslavS

RadoslavS Bit Poster

Capsule here as well but it works like charm!

kunnado likes this.
  6. Mundford

Mundford Bit Poster

Glad to report the update to Windows 21286 evaluation copy went smoothly and all have been using it for software development without problems.

7. GarethP1

GarethP1 Bit Poster

Microsoft Office 365 (32-bit) seems to work well on build 21286.
    (Task Manager Architecture reports as "x86 (ARM64 Optimized)", but other Office applications ar just x86)

But wjen I tried the Office 64-bit installer, Win10 says 64 bit isn't supported - but I thought 21286 included x64?

8. kunnado

kunnado Bit Poster

Build 21292 is out. Any one use it?

9. BruceP1

BruceP1 Bit Poster

SQL Express working fine. Needed to do a manual installation but worked out OK.

10. JorgeS4

JorgeS4 Bit Poster

Consultando por SQL Server, alguien pudo instalar SQL Management
    Studio ?

11. TerryC7

TerryC7 Bit Poster

I uploaded this build yesterday and it works great-all I use Windows for is Quicken though.

12. Mundford

Mundford Bit Poster

Did you try this:
    Initially I failed installing FileMaker, but resolved this by removing all Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable entries in the Apps & features list, then downloaded and installed the preview version of the ARM64 C++ redistributable from: https://aka.ms/arm64previewredist (FileMaker then subsequently installed its own 2017 version, but this has not caused any problems).

13. kunnado

kunnado Bit Poster

BTW, the latest update to Windows10 21292.1010 broke x64 emulation.

14. Mundford

Mundford Bit Poster

Yes, I agree build 21292 prevented my apps from loading. On a positive note, having taken a snapshot before each update, this has worked well reverting to build 21286 and all my apps now work again.

ChrisW38 likes this.
  15. Berk-

Berk- Bit Poster

I couldn't install the MS Teams. It shows me this error:

Plus, I tried to install the Google Drive File Stream but it throw me "Installation Failed" error. No more detail.
    Anyone successfully installed them?

Attached Files:

16. ChrisW38

ChrisW38 Bit Poster

Same here, I rolled back from 21292.1010 to 21286.1000.

17. robg6

robg6 Bit Poster

No, I tried all the Microsoft Teams version, but the same error for me

18. KevinK19

KevinK19

Did you get SQL Express 2019 running yet?

19. BruceP1

BruceP1 Bit Poster

I had SQL Express working under 21286, but its now broken under 21292. You have to run manually to avoid the update which doesn't work. Use "
    Setup.exe /Action=Install /UpdateEnabled=False". Will waits and see if there is a fix coming down the pike.

20. LeonardJ

LeonardJ Bit Poster

Sorry if this is a silly question, but does this mean that with x64 emulation is working well, I'll be able to run Revit on my M1 Mac via parallels?