Xandros Linux not working!!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by lilrayray77, Apr 14, 2006.

1. lilrayray77

lilrayray77 Bit poster

I just tryed to install Xandros desktop standard 3 Linux under Parallels and the install look like it went fine. Then suddenly, When I went to boot up linux in Parallel, I got an error stating "Internal Exception". It says to shut down the VM and restar but this did not work. Anyone have any Idea what is happening? Help would be very helpful.

Here is a screen grab:

2. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Don't know what's wrong, but I can't start it up after install either. Up until a couple of months ago I had run Xandros since V2. But it's a very highly manipulated version of Linux. What they've done is really great, but I had a lot of problems with WinPro, VMware, and Parallels so I switched. I'll probably give them a try again when the 64bit V4 comes out.

I did the install as Debian 3.1. What did you use? What is your host OS?

3. lilrayray77

lilrayray77 Bit poster

My primary OS is Windows MCE 2005. My Guest OS is Xandros standard 3. When I go to boot up, This is what happens:

Parallels(R) VGA-Compatible BIOS Version 1.04

Parallels(R) 2.1 build 1670 (C) 2005-2006 Parallels Software International Inc.
    All Rights Reserved

640kb Base Memory
    1032192 KB External Memory

**Then an error messege** >>> Attention! Parallels Workstation has encountered internal exception. It is reccomended to shut down virtual machine, exit the parallels workstation and start again.

---------------------

Perhaps I installed Linux wrong? How are you supposed to install it? What I did is in VM I popped the Xandros disk in and it loaded inside of VM. Is there a different way of loading it? Please help.

4. lilrayray77

lilrayray77 Bit poster

I reinstalled xandros. This time, I dont get any error but it just stalls after the Bios desplays the memory. Grrr, what's up?

5. constant

constant Forum Maven

X and R OS is not supported, so this is probably leeding to your downfall.

6. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

don't know what 'R' is, but X is supposedly supported because of the use of debian 3.1 as it's base - as stated by Parallels somewhere. i don't think this is a parallels issue for the reason stated. X's detection is much more throrough than almost every other distro - even to a fault. too bad because X is a good path to rid oneself of windoze.

btw: leeds are in your fatherland...

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

Sorry if I caused any confusion there. You see, Xandros can be translated to be x and r os. See how the "x" plus the "and" plus the "r" plus the "os" spell xandros.

I understand how Debian is supported and that is the base for Xandros, however, as I understand it, Xandros do a bit of their on "funky" stuff on top of Debian. I would imagine that this extra "Xandros" layer is the cause of the problems here.

Couldn't agree more about X being a far, far, far better option.

Is there an English soccer club playing in Germany?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  8. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Cute! confused me. Too bad about Xandros, they do so well at what they do, but extract some non-conformity because of it. I was suprised that I couldn't get it started anyway. I got a 64bit computer and switched to SuSe, but really miss how well Xandros works. Konqueror is a pale imitation of Xandros file manager. If only they could feed back into K and get them to stabilize Konqueror and make it netwrok aware.

9. constant

constant Forum Maven

Does Xandros file manager have alternate line shading in the file detail frame. If so then it must be something special. I stoped looking a few years ago when all my searching to that point could not uncover another file manager that did line shading. It's so much easier to read, I still remain astonished no others do it.

Hopefully some can correct me, so there will be something new to look at.

10. EdInBTR

EdInBTR Bit poster

The solution to running Xandros in a Parallels VM is as follows:

1. Recreate the virtual HDD. This is important step, otherwise you won't be able to
    boot your installation.
    2. Choose "Custom Install" method.
    3. On the "Disk Configuration" step please choose the "Use free space" option.
    Then finish the installation as you usually do.

I run Xandros 3 in a Parallels VM here at work on a Win 2000 Pro machine.

11. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Hi Ed, welcome to this forum. Your quality input will be welcome to all!

12. EdInBTR

EdInBTR Bit poster

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to learning lots about this very progressive project.

13. Mak Burns

Mak Burns Junior Member

Hi, I had the same problem
    when I tryed to install Xandros Linux it dont working too