XP in endless startup cycle

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by k-tronix, Apr 23, 2007.

1. k-tronix

k-tronix Bit poster

I'm running Parallels Desktop for Mac (build 3188) to emulate Windows XP (SP2) on a MacBook Pro (OS X 10.4.9). Parallels cannot boot Windows and goes into an infinite loop with the following blue-screened error message:

STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
    The image imagehlp.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computer checksum.

All of the Safe Modes result in the same loop.

Any ideas on how to replace the corrupted imagehlp.dll? Any workarounds for this?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried a repair install?

3. Polyktor

Polyktor Bit poster

I am having this exact same issue today. I started having some issues with the VM so I rebotted and now it's caught in this same loop.

I add the HDD file as a second drive to another Paralells VM but it shows up as being unformatted and no data recovery tool I tried can seem to find any data on it.

You think a window repair install might work? What's that procedure? Thanks.

4. Polyktor

Polyktor Bit poster

Ok, I was able to fix this using the repair intall option in XP...

1 - put your XP cd in your Mac
    2 - start your VM that is caught in the loop (make sure your parallel setup is configured to boot off CD before the hard drive
    3 - Choose to install a new copy of XP (IE don't select repair console)
    4 - After accepting the agreement, it should look for already installed copies of XP. Hopefully it finds your and you select the option to REPAIR that installation.

Then XP will go through its whole setup process but preserve your registry, programs, etc, etc. Be careful to select repair, not fresh install.

Good luck.