XP Installation Problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by junketer, May 8, 2007.

1. junketer

junketer Junior Member

I have just tried to setup Win XP Pro as my virtual machine guest OS but it only gets as far as the "Installing Windows" part of the setup process, where it says that Setup will be completed in 39 minutes, but nothing happpens after this??? The installation process seems to stop! Do i have a faulty Win XP Pro installation disc? Every time I start the virtual machine it asks me to insert the Win XP Pro disc to complete the installation, but it never does.

I want to delete the virtual machine installation so far but how do i do this? And before anyone asks, yes I have read pages 175-177 of the User Manual about using the "Delete Virtual Machine Assistant". The problem is that because I havent been able to successfully complete the installation of Win XP Pro I guess I dont have a virtual machine to delete? "Delete" is grayed out in the File menu.

Anyone got any ideas? This is rather confusing.:confused: Why cant things ever be simple??? Lol

2. parallels support

parallels support Member

This could be due to a faulty install CD, or possibly the previous failed attempt is giving you trouble. check out the following link http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=11244&highlight=39+minutes

Whenever you attempt to create a VM, Parallels first creates a "shell" to place the VM in to. Whether or not the VM is created successfully or not, the shell has still been created. It should be located on the Mac Hard drive at the user level at User>>Documents>>Parallels. At this level you should have one or more folders with some kind of Windows naming convention. Drag these to the trash and start again. If the install still fails, you can also create an image of the install CD and load Windows from that image file. Good Luck!

3. bobw

bobw Bit poster

I just rebooted the VM

I couldn't get past the first reboot and I read all these suggestions and loaded the CD into a hard-disk image which helped get things moving.

Setup then stalled at the "37 minutes" for about an hour so I restarted the VM and setup resumed and so-far, so good....

(of course, as I type this, it's telling me to "please wait...")