XP won't boot

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by John A, Oct 11, 2009.

1. John A

John A Bit poster

After working fine for over a year, Windows XP suddenly won't boot- in any form, even safe mode or "Last known good..."

I have an XP restore disk set, but can't find any information on how to use it with Parallels. (Being completely Windows ignorant probably doesn't help).

Any suggestions?

Thanx,
    John

(Parallels 3.0 on MacBook Pro- not sure what XP version)

2. desgael

desgael Pro

You can try the Windows Repair Installation. Check the following article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5138

I would also suggest to back up the virtual machine prior to that. Just copy the .hdd file to some other place.

(by default it is in /Users/<username>/Documents/Parallels/<VM_name>/winxp.hdd)

3. John A

John A Bit poster

No go on Windows repair installation

I appreciate the effort desgael, but I can't even get Windows to offer me the option of booting from the CD. I made sure Boot Sequence was CD/ROM first.

When I attempt to start VM it goes immediately to the black "... Windows did not start successfully... ". If I attempt any of the options given to me ("Safe Mode", "Safe Mode with Networking", "Safe Mode with Command Prompt", "Last known Good Configuration", or "Start Windows Normally") it goes to the Windows start-up screen for a few seconds, then immediately to a blue DOS screen for a second, and back to the black DOS screen.

My Mac doesn't recognize the Windows XP Restore disc, and boots it after awhile. Even if I insert just before attempting to start the VM it doesn't give me the option of booting from disc.

Any other suggestions?

Anybody?

My netbook is starting to look like the permanent replacement for a Parallels app that I have found quite unsatisfactory.

4. desgael

desgael Pro

Judging from your description, you did not set up the proper boot order, so the virtual machine starts booting from the hard disk and you see start-up screen. At least it seems so, sorry if I got it wrong.

So, do you mind clarifying the following?

1. First of all, you would need to insert the Windows XP installation CD. Note that it must be the same Service Pack level as the Windows you have installed.

2. Change the boot order in Parallels Desktop Configuration Editor. Check here how to access it.

3. In Configuration Editor, navigate to "CD/DVD-ROM" -> "Options" -> "Boot" and then set the boot sequence to CD-ROM, Hard Disk, floppy.

4. Close the Configuration Editor, stop and start the virtual machine and press any key at the very start of VM loading.
    (you will be asked to, "press any key to boot from the CD").

After that, you should be able to follow the article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5138

If I misunderstood you and you have tried this already, there is an alternate way, if it would seem that the guest OS is corrupted beyong repair:

1. Create a new virtual machine and install Windows in it.
    2. Shut down the VM and open it's Configuration Editor. Add a second hard disk pointing to your old .hdd file.

This way you would have two disks in your VM, C:\ - the new one with Windows installed and D:\ with all the old data.
    All the programs would have to be reinstalled though.

5. John A

John A Bit poster

Thanks again for trying to help me out. The issue is not boot order though. I had already done your steps 1-4- explicitly... several times. The one difference is that I've been using a Windows XP restore disk, not installation disk. I have no installation disk. I don't know the difference, but bought the laptop with Parallels and XP set up, and restore disks (which I have never had reason to use before).

I'm wondering if the problem is the restore disk. (My Mac ejects it after a few seconds.) If so, do I have any other options to re-install XP? (I.E. can I borrow an install disk and use my serial #?)

Thanks,
    John