XP x64: Blue Screen Copying Files to Mapped Network Drive

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by kristianmartin, Jan 21, 2010.

1. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

Hello,

I am experiencing a blue screen error which happens when I try to drag-and-drop copy a file to a mapped network drive. The VM in question is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition updated to SP2 through PD 4.0.3848 with all other OS updates. The computer is on a small network with an Xserve. I should point out that we have users running Windows XP Professional 32-bit and this does not occur, as well as users running Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit. I can browse the folders and copy from them just fine, but writing/copying results in a BSOD. I have some pictures of the blue screens, which have now shown two different causes for the crash:

1. RDR_FILE_SYSTEM
    2. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I have tried copying to different folders and even different mapped network drives with the same result. During the course of writing this post, sometimes the OS does not produce a blue screen but the VM just shuts off completely and returns to the pre-startup state.

Attached Files:

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Could you please send a problem report using menu of Parallels Desktop "Help" -> "Report a Problem" from this VM and post here its id? Just as it is now, it is not needed to reproduce the BSOD.

3. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

Id: 2284828

Thank you for your help!

4. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

Hello,

Any progress for this issue? The workaround I am using does not allow me (or perhaps I have not discovered a way) to specify which drive letter a shared folder that parallels sets will be in Windows. Could anyone help with that? Thank you.

5. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

I haven't heard from Parallels regarding this issue and it is an ongoing issue.

6. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

This problem is still coming up

1. every time users try to copy/paste on the server through the Autodesk Revit Architecture 'open' dialog or
    2. save to pdf on the server

Apparently writing anything to the server makes this happen.

I should add the server is an OS X Leopard Xserve.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  7. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

I have just tried this is Parallels 5.0.9376 and the system just froze - no BSOD or any other warning.

Tried this again but this time created a snapshot before i did a copy/paste. This time parallels seemed to just abruptly close the guest OS window and it went black. Then, the Mac crashed with the "You need to restart your computer" message.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  8. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

Crash Information

Here is the crash information regarding the previous post. This is information that would be sent to Apple.

9. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

Well, I was able to copy and paste multiple files when just connecting to our server via RUN, e.g. "\\servernamehere". Then I tried using the "map network drive" feature and I ended up freezing Parallels, and then crashing the computer when trying to Force Quit Parallels.

10. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

I downloaded and installed Parallels 6.0.11822 and I was able to freeze Parallels. However, the Mac OS did not crash, so I guess that is a step forward.

11. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

Here is another ID report, this time not using mapped network drives but a location added to My Network Places.

ID: 7151225

12. KristinW

KristinW Bit poster

If you have an Autodesk subscription you might try filing a support request with them (though I had to call my reseller to really get Autodesk to take it seriously because it's a cross-platform problem). I had a network mapping problem with Revit as well and they helped me with a work around to get it working. It wasn't the same as yours so I won't go into it but that would be my advice. I never got any help from Parallels. Autodesk will likely help you even if they don't "officially" support your set up, just saying, or maybe they do. Good luck!

13. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

Hi Kristin,

Thanks for the reply. I do have an Autodesk subscription for support but never tried to ask them for help regarding this, precisely because, as you have said, it is a platform problem and not a product problem. Anyway, what was your problem and advised workaround? Although we aren't staying on XP x64 much longer, I'd still like to know.

Merry Christmas!

- Kristian