Warning with build 12090!!! Dock 100% cpu

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Numanmania, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Numanmania

Numanmania Bit poster

I updated Parallels with the last update (12090) and my Macbook Pro Quad i7 uses one of the 100% of one virtual core with the "dock" aplication. Uninstall Paralles correct it. What happens????.

Thx in advance.

2. cmdawson

cmdawson Bit poster

I am also seeing 105% CPU for prl_vm_app on my mac since upgrading (fans on 100%) - I'm using Windows XP on a core i5 MBP.

3. SalvadorC

SalvadorC Bit poster

I am also seeing issues with this build

The prl_vm_app chews up 80-90% of CPU.

Can you fix this.

4. E.W

E.W Bit poster

Add me to the list. Has anyone tried to remove parallels items from the dock?

5. WesC

WesC Bit poster

Same here. Exactly 100% CPU usage with the new Parallels build.

Running 2010 MacBook Pro 15" 2.4 i5, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 via Parallels, 128 GB SSD.

I did notice the dock would quickly disappear and then quickly reappear when starting my Win 7 VM.

Also, the issue persists even after I quit Parallels.

Edit: I have to delete the dock plist and log out in order to get the dock cpu back to where it should be. This issue needs to be addressed ASAP.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  6. RetoB

RetoB Bit poster

Found Workaround DOK CPU high

The Problem is: Show Windows Folder in the Dok

workaround: Do not Display the Windows Folder in the Dok

1. Right klick on Paralells Icon / Configure
    2. Select Tab Options
    3. go to Application
    4. DeSelect "Show Windows Folder in Dock"

-> CPU slows Down
    -> Done

Seems That Paralells was not the right choice !!
    Even that with the black screen in coherence they are not able to solve since month !!

7. RetoB

RetoB Bit poster

Found workaround :
    " The Problem comes from the " Show Windows Folder in the Dock"
    Workaround:

1. Right klick Paralles Icon
    2. Configure
    3. Select Tab Options
    4. Select Applications
    5. UnSelect " Show Windows Application Folder in Dock"

-> Check CPU it slows down :)

Seems to me that was the wrong choice to use Paralells ( even the blank screen is not solved and this since month)

8. RetoB

RetoB Bit poster

Just remove in the configure " Show windows Application Folder in the Dock" and it is done

9. jwarthman

jwarthman Junior Member

So Parallels posted a KB article claiming this issue results from the upgrade to OSX 10.6.8: http://kb.parallels.com/en/111541

And yet the first two reports of this isue ere in the first week of June, well BEFORE 10.6.8 was released.

10. emental

emental Junior Member

It does result from the upgrade to Mac OS 10.6.8.

I had 11990 work perfect for months on Mac OS 10.6.7. The issue have started after I upgraded to 10.6.8. Many other posts in the internet confirm the relation between 10.6.8 and Dock chewing CPU like crazy.

11. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

Hey jwarthman,

We didn't experience any issues prior to the latest Mac Update, so those may have been unique instances.

12. Joseph Heenan

Joseph Heenan Bit poster

The developer build of 10.6.8 was released on May 30, 2011.

This may explain the earlier instances, assuming the problem was present in the developer build.

Assuming that is true, it also begs the question as to why Parallels only appear to become aware of it after 10.6.8 was released to the public...

13. jwarthman

jwarthman Junior Member

Thanks all, I stand corrected!

Joseph, you hit the nail on the head. Those who posted in early June about the issue didn't mention which version of Mac OS they were using, perhaps due to NDAs.

14. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

Exactly. And for now the workaround (http://kb.parallels.com/111541) solves the issue, but we are working on providing an update. Take care guys!

15. Billish

Billish Bit poster

The thing that concerns my about this (and other) Parallels bugs is that they often have the effect of forcing 100% CPU time and drive the temperatures of our processors WAY up.

The first week I owned my MacBook Air and Parallels, there was a bug that Parallels later fixed which kept a Parallels process running in the background and forced my processors up to 171 degrees or higher on a near continuous basis. I was new to OS X and didn't think to check processor temperatures and use the Activity Monitor to trace the problem to Parallels until late in the week. I'm very concerned about the effect the Parallels-caused overdrive of my $1500 machine may have had on its life. Statistically speaking, when you overdrive a machine, it's known to cause premature aging of chip pathways, transistors on the CPU cores, etc.

A lot of the Parallels bugs tend to to this, and it's VERY worrisome. As far as I'm concerned, Parallels owes me some in-kind value for the life that's likely been lost on my machine.....again, far too many of the Parallels programming errors result in this kind of overdrive on Macs. Not sure VM Fusion has the same issues.

16. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

Hey Billish,

While I don't have any report on the issues VM Fusion users may face, I do know that Parallels has been reviewed by many as a superior option in virtualization. I do understand the frustration that software issues can create, but I know that we will continue to provide the proper fixes and updates as we continue to improve our software.

17. Billish

Billish Bit poster

Any update on this issue and the fix?

(Note: Apple released a Java update today....)

18. AlanUSA

AlanUSA Bit poster

Dead in the water

Have been using Parallels for months with no issues. It crashed today and I am completely out of service now. My issue started with the high proc load, and degraded into not being able to start Parallels at all. I uninstalled and reinstalled about 15 times today to no avail.

I'm on 10.6.8 trying to reinstall 12090. I couldn't get the old VM to launch so assumed it was corrupt. Used Transporter Agent on my windows machine to get a new .pvm file. Had a horrible time trying to get Transporter on my Mac to import it. First it kept saying "path does not exist" when trying to import from external HD. I moved it onto my machine and finally after numerous tries it finally imported. Not sure what i did to make it work.

Have tried to start Parallels after numerous clean installs and it will start once until i try to start the VM then crashes and will not start again. Uninstall, reinstall, try new way to start, etc, etc,

What is going on?

19. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

Hey Billish,

We are actively coordinating with Apple to address the current issue and provide an update. I will certainly keep you in the loop when I get the latest news!

20. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

Hey AlanUSA,

Did you try completing the workaround? http://kb.parallels.com/111541