After upgrade Windows XP virtual machine fails to boot with BSOD

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DaTa, Nov 4, 2009.

1. I-che

I-che Pro

wenfeen, you need to shut downl virtual machine. this is kind of setting that can not be applied on-the-fly. please try with stopped vm.

2. LucaD

LucaD Bit poster

Same BSOD here.

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
    Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 8

Error
    *** STOP: 0x000000BE (0xF788fc34, 0x0A3D6121, 0XF78A251C, 0X0000000B)
    *** NDIS.SYS - Address F788FC34 base at F786A000, DateStamp 48025d03

I hope this issue can be easily sorted out...

3. Kirk Dickinson

Kirk Dickinson Bit poster

I have tried all the things in this post, except I have yet to upgrade to 10.6.2 yet.

No joy. XP won't boot even in safe mode. One CPU, graphic acceleration turned off.

4. IngeborgS

IngeborgS Junior Member

Same BSOD here:

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
    Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    RAM: 6 GB
    MacOS 10.6.2 German
    Bootcamp Tools: 3.0
    Windows XP SP3

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    Error
    *** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xF752FC5C, 0x000000FF, 0X0000001, 0XF7AB4629)
    *** ftdisk.sys - Adress F752FC5C base at F752E000, DateStamp amp 3b7d8419
    *** AppleMNT.sys - Address F7AB4629 base at F7AB4000, DateStamp 4a15a557

5. audioeric

audioeric Bit poster

Getting same BSOD here on start up of Boot Camp installation with Parallels..

Attached screenshot

27" iMac Core i7 2.8 Ghz
    8 GB RAM

I've gone in under Boot Camp and done all Windows updates, I've switched CPU's to one, and have even turned off the printer, network connection, and DVD in the configuration of parallels to try to avoid IRQ issues.. Still nothing, same exact problems..

ftdisk.sys
    AppleMNT.sys

Any thoughts on this? Seems like a lot of people are having the same issue...

Attached Files:

6. IngeborgS

IngeborgS Junior Member

no solution for MacPro Early 2009 and the newest iMacs?

Is it a problem with the new processors build at the MacPro Early in 2009 and the newest iMacs?
    Maybe the settings at Parallels 5 to 1 processor cannot avoid that several cores will work and therefore a BSOD is generated?
    In the meantime I already have received the 4-th message of the Technical Support, which is not concerned with the failing integration of boat camp but rather tell me basic tips.
    I think that nobody knows a solution. So we have to hope for a new Parallels build.

7. IngeborgS

IngeborgS Junior Member

here a screen movie

I have created a Screen-Movie about the start attempt. You can see at the beginning the hard disk symbol recognized (green bar). If the Windows-XP logo appears there is probably no more accesses (no green bar).
    If I start Bootcamp at the native mode and the black failing start window disappears, I will got the same problems: After new start with Mac OS 10.6.2 and start of Parallels, the black failing start window stays disappeared, however, the BSOD and the endless loop was coming again.
    Screen_movie

8. I-che

I-che Pro

IngeborgS, what is the ticket number at Parallels support system?

9. FranciscoP

FranciscoP Bit poster

I have the same issue with the blue screen. VM created in 3.0, upgraded to Snow Leopard so I was forced to upgrade to parallels 5. After the upgrade, windows starts to boot, and then goes to the blue screen and restarts. Tried changing to 1 processor, but it was already set to 1. Please help.

[​IMG]

10. IngeborgS

IngeborgS Junior Member

The ticket number at Parallels support system = 816416

11. IngeborgS

IngeborgS Junior Member

Why does one not want to understand me?

Below you can find the 7th reply to Parallel's Technical Support:
    Hello,
    No, my Bootcamp Partition is ok.
    If I start native with Bootcamp, so it works fine.
    If I start Bootcamp with Parallels 4 (before the upgrade to Parallels 5) it works fine as well.
    I have said it here always again!

Your links below describe MS information of BSOD error, if Windows cannot start (but native it can start see my first lines).

Today I have deleted the Bootcamp partition and created a new at Mac OS 10.6.2.
    Then I have installed via Bootcamp a fresh Windows XP SP 2. At this small windows installation I have only add to Bootcamp-Drivers and Parallels 5 drivers. Then I start Parallels 5 again.
    What do you think has happened? Yes I have got the same BSOD as before!!!!
    Certainly I had installed Parallels 5 again; I have physical disconnected all FireWire and USB devices. Only my monitor the mouse and the Keyboard stay connected. All without any success!!

I think I have hard worked, but this to do is not my job!! I think there is nothing more what I have not already tried out.

Do you work for a new build? When?

12. JVdW2000

JVdW2000 Bit poster

P5 crash during 1st VM config - same issue as others -any solution or did u give up?

Hi,

I have exaclty the same issues as you all:

Hardw: new iMac Quad 27'
    latest 10.6.2 factory install
    nothing connectede except USB KB and BT new mouse.

Installed XP Pro SP3 version 2002, and updated in standalone boot the latest patches from MS.
    Standalone Bootcamp works fine
    VM Fusion 3 install works fine
    P5 does not install - but gives BSOD during VM config

Par 5 desktop install hangs during first time VM config in step 1/4 always at about 25-30% progress
    Since VM Fusion 3 successful instal, reinstalled P5. Now it does not hang anymore, it give BSOD, like other person pasted in theis thread:

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    STOP:0x000000D1 (some hex address)
    ftdisk.sys - address sone hex address
    AppleMNT.sys - again hex address

I can't create ticket as this is a trial version. I do have P3 on other machine installed. I already checked - the VM config setup for Bootcamp client and for Win XP both were already set up for 1 CPU.

Did anyone get anyware here, or did you all give up and use VM Fusion 3 ?

kind regards
    JVDW

13. IngeborgS

IngeborgS Junior Member

for Users who works with Nehalem processors

If you use a MacPro (Early 2009) or a an iMac Late 2009 27 inch with Core i5 or i7:
    see the thread here

14. CuoghiD

CuoghiD Bit poster

Hello, yesterday I upgraded from Parallels 4 to 5, this morning I tried to open the Bootcamp partition with Windows XP and I had the same issue explained in this discussion (if I had read this discussion before I surely choose not to upgrade...)

My MacPro is an "early 2009" 2x2,6 Quad Core with Leopard.

[​IMG]

Now I will try to uninstall Parallels 5 and install again version 4, waiting for a solution to this issue.

15. StevenT

StevenT Bit poster

When I first launched Parallels 5.x, it asked to "back up and convert" existing VM (named winxp.hdd) or just "convert". I selected "convert" since I had copied a version of the VM (winxp.hdd) to my back up drive. The conversion never completed (after an hour) and Parallels 5.x had to be Forced Quit. Now I cannot open my VM (winxp.hdd, about 33 GB file) in any version of Parallels.

I tried to migrate using Parallels Transport and I get a message "the virtual hard disk you specificed is a Parallels virtual hard disk. You needn't convert it to Par. format. Please specify another disk"

I can open Parallels Desktop 5.x app, but cannot open my winxp.hdd disk (about 33 GB). I tired the File/Open and File/Import commands in Parallels Desktop.

I even tried to reinstall my winxp.hdd backup from Time Capsule, but that file will not copy down.

How can I open and retrieve my files from my Winxp.hdd drive?

Product Version: 5.0
    Computer Type: MacBook
    Build Number: 9220
    Amount of memory: 2-4GB
    Host OS: Mac OS X 10.5.x Leopard
    Host OS details:
    Where did you buy our product?: From an online store
    How many licences have you purchased?: 1-2
    Guest OS: Windows XP Professional
    Guest OS type: 32-bit
    Number of CPUs in Virtual machine: 1
    Amount of Guest OS memory:

Thanks,
    Steve Tello
    Ticket ID 829869

16. warnergt

warnergt Member

I have(had) this problem with the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD on:
    new quad-core i5 iMac,
    Bootcamp 3.0,
    Parallels 5.0.

The system boots fine in Bootcamp.

My workaround was to boot in Bootcamp and rename c:/windows/systems32/drivers/AppleMNT.sys. (I renamed it to AppleMNT_keep.sys).

Now, I can boot and run with Parallels 5. However, I'm wondering what doesn't work without that file.

17. MickColl

MickColl Bit poster

Disabling P3.sys resolves BSOD

Disabling p3.sys using Windows Recovery console resolved my BSOD issue, when upgrading from 3.0 to 5.0 on XP.

It appears to be a pentium 3 driver, which the VM doesn't need. After diabling it I was able to complete the conversion of my VM and running XP happily now.

18. MissC

MissC Bit poster

We have the same situation. Help. What should we do.?