Boot From USB Stick / Thumbdrive

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by OneST8, Oct 21, 2013.

1. OneST8

OneST8 Bit poster

Hello everyone,

I've searched the forums, google and everywhere else I could think of for an answer to this question.

How do you boot a VM from a USB thumb drive???

The *only* helpful post I found informed me that creating a new virtual HDD and selecting the usb drive would work, however, it does not. There is no option to select any drives other than actual hard drives.

I have a recovery thumb drive and I need to boot my guest os from that drive in order to properly recover my files.

The following is a list of things I've tried (with no success):

* Creating new HDD and selecting the usb thumbdrive.
    * Selecting the "External device" as the only bootable item in the "Boot order" menu *and* selecting the usb drive from the "External boot device" dropdown
    * Checking the "Select boot device on startup" and looking for the USB options in the bios

None of the above actually worked.

I know with 100% confidence that the thumb drive is bootable (works on every other machine and VirtualBox).

Has anyone had luck with booting USB drives with Parallels 9?

Thanks! Much appreciated!

2. beta_jlockhar

beta_jlockhar Bit poster

Only Parallels 9 VMs

It seems that only newly created Parallels Desktop 9 VMs have the External Device in the Boot Order window. I have not been able to configure my older VMs under PD9 to get the option in Boot Order. Would be nice if someone clarified this, or did I miss something?

- Jason

3. B.Jobsis

B.Jobsis Bit poster

Ls,
    I got it working with a bootable USB stick (made with 'Windows 7 USB DVD download tool') and the following boot specs:
    -Boot order: -Hard Disk 1 and External Device
    -External Boot Device: Mass Storage Device
    -USB & Bluetooth: USB 3.0 support
    Succes, Barry

4. JamesMcDowell

JamesMcDowell Member

All these years later and that still worked perfectly.
    Thanks Barry.