Cakewalk Sonar & Parallels Desktop 8

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by micdim, Jan 9, 2013.

1. micdim

micdim Junior Member

I'm using Parallels Desktop 8 with Windows Vista on my Mac Quad-Core OS 10.6.8 with 14G of Ram

I have a Apogee Duet II USB audio interface, and I'm trying to get my Cakewalk Sonar 6.2.1 & Sonar XL LE to work with my Apogee product within Parallels Desktop 8 & Windows Vista.

I can hear audio through Parallels Desktop 8/Windows Vista, but my Audio Applications Sonar 6.2.1/XL LE won't recognize the audio hardware correctly, and now both programs seem slow and I keep getting a drive error that my internal extra drive is overloading. (the one that has my audio files on it)

In my previous Parallels Desktop 7 I had no issues with Sonar 6.2.1 or Sonar XL LE. Everything worked just fine with no lag or hard drive overload issues.

Anyone have the same issues, and if so, any workarounds?

P.S.
    In Parallels Desktop 7 Sonar would see the Parallels audio driver, and would give me at least 2 inputs and 4 outputs. The most I can get with version 8 is 1 in & 1 out, and still the programs are not working correctly. They are slow, and keep stopping with a Hard Drive overload message, basically UN-usable!

Any help would be appreciated.
    thank you,
    Micdim.

2. micdim

micdim Junior Member

Sonar & Parallels 8 Audio Controller Fixed!!!

Update:
    (Please note that Sonar works great with the audio hardware, but now the Vista System has no sound) :-(

Works great with Sonar 6.2.1 & X1 LE!
    For those of you that might be having issues with your Audio Hardware drivers please see the following... I fixed this on my Parallels Desktop 8 with Windows Vista, but I hope it will work on many other systems with Parallels Desktop 8.

On Windows Vista: (most recent update Jan 8, 2013)
    I went into...
    1. Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/
    a. Click on Sound/Manage audio devices/
    b. Double click on Speakers Properties
    c. Under General Tab of Speaker Properties:
    1. Click on Properties of Controller Information
    2. Under Audio Controller Properties click on "Driver" Tab
    a. Click on "Update Driver"
    b. Click on "Search automatically for updated driver software" (This searches on your computer & the internet)

After clicking on Update Driver, it will take a while for it to find a driver if one is available. Be Patient!

My update found: (and replaced my Parallels Audio driver)
    "Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller"
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 6/21/2006
    Driver Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    Digital Signer: microsoft windows

NOW BOTH MY SONAR 6.2.1 & SONAR X1 LE WORK GREAT! No lagging, no disk errors, etc!

P.S.
    Make sure when you open up Sonar & if it tells you that the audio tracks are not working please disable them before initializing the new Driver, or Sonar will not open.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013