Can I safely delete the .hds VM disk image on my clone drive? Then re-clone it?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by KevinB41, Mar 20, 2024.

1. KevinB41

KevinB41 Bit poster

Hello,

I use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to clone important volumes to their respective backup volumes/locations. Recently, whenever I run CCC to clone my primary Mac volume it reports that there is "insufficient space on the destination." CCC points me to the offending file on the destination drive which is the main .hds "Parallels VM hard disk image" file.

I was thinking I would simply delete the .hds file on the destination volume then try to re-clone the entire drive back to its clone. I just wanted to make sure there's no harm in doing so. Since CCC will regenerate the functioning VM disk image from the boot drive into its place on the clone destination I didn't think there would be much worry. But also...you just never know. That's why I'm asking.

There is adequate of space on the destination volume already. So I'm not sure why this error is occurring in the first place. The boot volume is currently consuming 230GB and the destination volume is 250GB. FWIW, the VM disk image on the boot volume is 44.76GB currently, while its counterpart on the destination volume is 43.55GB right now.

I just want to get back to error-free cloning of this boot drive but wanted to ensure my solution is as quick and easy as I'm hoping.

Thanks in advance.