Compressor Run Time

Discussion in 'Parallels Compressor' started by jpiazza, Jan 5, 2008.

1. jpiazza

jpiazza Bit poster

Ok, so I have ready every post regarding how long this should take (at least all i could find) and there are a lot of numbers out there. I have a MacBook 2.2G with 2GB of RAM running Leapord and the most current version of Parallels.

I have a 56GB XP Pro Image that I started the compression part around 9am this morning. After 7.5 Hours it's about 15% complete. I *finally* talked myself into letting it run overnight, but come tomorrow night I will have to cancel it if it's not completed.

Does anyone have some ballpark math to calcuate time remaining ? (i.e. rule of thumb is 1HR per GB of data)

Thanks in advance!

2. oakbrook

oakbrook Bit poster

Works fine if you have the time and resources

On a new Mac Pro with 5GB RAM a "specified" 60GB Vista Business hdd had grown to use 95GB of actual HD space. After reading all the posts about success rates, duration, and workarounds, opted to proceed with Compressor, as I had another Vista computer on the network at my disposal.

Started Compressor 8:00 AM Wednesday and the process completed successfully at midnight Friday! In Vista, the drive still shows as 60GB, but now the "actual space" used on the drive is 32GB. Picked up 63GB of actual HD space in 64 hours of run time or ~ 1GB per hour. Clearly, others' results may vary, but this serves as another data point.

While compressor was running on the VM, i still was able to use the OS X 10.51 side of the Mac Pro occasionally with decent performance. Perhaps runtime would have improved slightly had I resisted use of the machine, but I doubt it.

Hope this helps.