FreeDOS on Parallels 19

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by noddybox, Aug 30, 2023.

1. noddybox

noddybox Bit poster

Hello all
    I'm trying to create a FreeDOS VM just for fun. I've selected the ISO, the other OS type and gone to the machine configuration, but I can't find an option under the CPU tab to enable x86 emulation, and I thought there was meant to be an option there. Is there something I'm missing?

2. Adeboye Adeotan

Adeboye Adeotan Staff Member

Best Answer
    Hello noddybox,

Thank you for the provided data.

Kindly allow me to clarify.

Creating a virtual machine on your Apple Silicon Mac using an ISO compiled for any architecture other than ARM64 is not currently possible on Parallels Desktop. We do not offer this as a feature.

The x86_64 feature present on Parallels Desktop 19 is specifically intended for running Docker x86 (Intel 64-bit) containers, binaries, or applications on Silicon Macs. As such, users are not able to install x86_64 (Intel 64-bit) operating systems on Silicon Macs, which is necessary for your specific use case.

Mikhail Ushakov likes this.
  3. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

For us to further investigate the issue, kindly provide us with the below information:
    1. Under the virtual machine configuration > Hardware > please provide a screenshot of the CPU & Memory tab
    2. Please collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.

Thanks

4. noddybox

noddybox Bit poster

Hello
    Done with report ID 434599425
    Thanks.

5. Adeboye Adeotan

Adeboye Adeotan Staff Member

Best Answer
    Hello noddybox,

Thank you for the provided data.

Kindly allow me to clarify.

Creating a virtual machine on your Apple Silicon Mac using an ISO compiled for any architecture other than ARM64 is not currently possible on Parallels Desktop. We do not offer this as a feature.

The x86_64 feature present on Parallels Desktop 19 is specifically intended for running Docker x86 (Intel 64-bit) containers, binaries, or applications on Silicon Macs. As such, users are not able to install x86_64 (Intel 64-bit) operating systems on Silicon Macs, which is necessary for your specific use case.

Mikhail Ushakov likes this.
  6. noddybox

noddybox Bit poster

Ah, thanks for the clarification. No problem.

Adeboye Adeotan likes this.