Freezing issue when running macOS VM on Parallels

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ToryF, Aug 24, 2023.

1. ToryF

ToryF Bit poster

Every other thing seems to work fine except sometimes the macOS VM freezes for a few seconds before working. The most noticeable moment is during mouse scrolling.
    The guest VM freezes and unfreezees itself after some seconds.
    Any workaround on this will be appreciated.

Issue on M1 machine

2. Trishna Oobeyram

Trishna Oobeyram Staff Member

Hello!
    In order to proceed with further investigation, kindly provide us with the below information:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply.
    Thank you!

3. ToryF

ToryF Bit poster

Technical report 433906410 has been sent to Parallels.

4. ToryF

ToryF Bit poster

I have to remake new report with a video
    Technical report 433953510 has been sent to Parallels.

5. NiallN

NiallN Bit poster

Hello,

Same issue here. It has been happening for a very long time, but recently seems to have gotten worse.
    For me, it used to be that the VM would freeze for a while when attempting to scroll with the mouse or when popup notifications were displayed. Occasionally the machine would hang indefinitely. Lately, that has been happening more often, forcing me to either Quit or sometimes Force Quit the VM.
    Interestingly, the issue only manifests when scrolling with the mouse (trackpad, I'm using a MacBook Pro) but if I grab the scrollbar instead and move it manually the VM does not hang.
    When the machine is hung, it will typically be using 2 or 3 CPU cores at 100%, suggesting some kind of spin.
    Also, along with this issue, I have found then when installing or updating Parallels Guest Tools it will hang indefinitely at 100%.

I have submitted a technical report for the last instance of a crash after I had to Quit the VM because it was frozen, the ID is 433957663.

Any help is much appreciated.
    As with OP, I am on an M1 Mac. Specifically, Apple M1 Max, MacBook Pro 16-inch 2021. Running the latest macOS build: 13.5.1 (22G90)

6. ToryF

ToryF Bit poster

Am using the same type of Mac config with you and the mouse is Apple Magic Mouse

7. JayS13

JayS13 Bit poster

Exact same issues... on my '23 MBP / M2 Max / macOS build 13.5.1 (22G90), with both onboard trackpad and external Apple trackpad (Bluetooth connected). Hopefully this is sorted quickly; the issue is rendering the vm useless.

8. AshishR

AshishR Bit poster

Any update on this ? Facing the same issue

9. PatrickH29

PatrickH29 Bit poster

Hely,
    my Macbook Pro with a M2 Max and macOS 13.5.2 shows the same issues when running Mac Based VMs.
    Patrick

10. winkydink

winkydink Bit poster

The network performance of a MacOS VM on my M1 Macbook Air is essentially unusable. It works for 1-2 minutes and then hangs for 30-60 seconds.

Does Parallels even have a QA department? There's no way this should have been missed in testing.

11. MartinB35

MartinB35 Bit poster

Since upgrading to 19 on an M2 Air, freezing makes this product unusable. The support and QA from Parallels on this is directionally proportional to how fast their website and forum load and inversely proportional to their price increases: below zero.

12. AnthonyD14

AnthonyD14 Bit poster

Same problem here since Parallels 19. This product is basically unusable right now for work. It freezes multiple times and freezing times go from 5s to 3m.

Laptop: M2

13. NiallN

NiallN Bit poster

I upgraded both my host machine and my VM to macOS 14.0 Sonoma today and that has resolved the freezing issue when scrolling. The scrolling can be a bit choppy still, but no freezes any more.
    Given that, I can only guess that this is caused by a bug in Apples VirtulizationFramework and not Parallels itself.

14. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello @ToryF ,
    Please note, we have created a case to further investigate the issue that you are facing with reference 43****7.
    We have requested some additional information for further investigation through your email.
    Thank you.

15. ClaudioR2

ClaudioR2 Bit poster

Hi. I'm using parallels for Mac Pro Ver 19.1.0 (54729) with a Windows 7 VM. After upgrading to Sonoma 14.1, the VM does not work or works extremely slow. It freezes all time.
    Any help??

Thanks!!

16. PatrickH29

PatrickH29 Bit poster

Hi,
    I'm absolutely shocked by Parallels. There is literally no progress on this topic. This problem exist for months and no updates.
    How can such a major issue not been solved in time. The Parallels software is unusable for me.
    I've only chosen to switch to Parallels as they're officially support Windows 11 on Mac ARM and they're recommended my Microsoft.
    The update and release cycle of Parallels is crazy: Only one minor and one patch version after the release of version 19 in August 2023: https://kb.parallels.com/en/129860
    Is there anything we can do to speedup the progress to solve the issue?
    Thanks
    Patrick

17. PatrickH29

PatrickH29 Bit poster

18. FrancescoC8

FrancescoC8 Bit poster

Hi, I have the exact same issue with Mac OS VMs on my M1 Ultra. I rely on this for my daily work and it has become UNUSABLE.
    Please provide an update on this ASAP. it is negatively affecting my work.
    Thanks

19. Wiktorl

Wiktorl

Hi, I have similar problem. MacBook Pro Apple M1 Pro, Mac OS X Sonoma 14.3.1, guest Windows 11. When I run Parallels Desktop Mac freezes randomly (every few minutes) for few seconds- mouse cursor change into waiting. When I write on keyboard and have some key pressed when it happens the key is repeated several dozens times.

ParallelsU842 likes this.
  20. FrancescoC8

FrancescoC8 Bit poster

Has anyone solved it? I opened a ticket citing this very discussion and they are asking me if it freezes during BOOT o afterwards... haven't even READ IT. :(