Generic application icons in Mac dock

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JeremyP3, Nov 29, 2017.

1. JeremyP3

JeremyP3 Bit poster

I have a couple of icons for windows apps/shortcuts in the Mac dock that are displaying a generic icon rather than the actual icon. Is there a way to fix this? I've pasted an example of what the icon looks like. This one, for example is Skype for business running in windows 10 through parallels, but the dock icon doesn't display the Skype icon.

If it helps, the times I've seen this are when an application was added to the dock, then the application was updated in windows (e.g, I reinstalled office), and the new icon is not refreshed. The icon displays correctly in the windows application folder.

Is there a cache or set of files somewhere that's looking for the old file to display the correct icon?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. JeremyP3

JeremyP3 Bit poster

Note: I resolved this issue by deleting the parallels applications folders in my home directory and rebooting.

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @JeremyP3, glad to know that you are able to fix the issue by deleting the Parallels applications folders on your home directory. Feel free to reach out anytime and we are here to help!

4. AidanB5

AidanB5

Can you explain how you did it? I am on a macbook pro 16nch 2021 and having the same probelm. One of my windows prgrams I downloaded shows a generic I con in the mac os doc