How to copy files to a Mac OS vm running Parallels 17

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ThomasK56, Mar 10, 2024.

1. ThomasK56

ThomasK56 Bit poster

Hi,

I'm currently using Parallels 17 (standard) on my M1 Mac running macOS 12 Monterey. The virtual machine I'm using is also running macOS Monterey. However, I've been experiencing quite limited interaction capabilities with this virtual machine. Frankly, I find it almost pointless to use Parallels for macOS in this manner, especially considering I purchased the software specifically for this purpose.

But even with all the limitations, is it actually possible to transfer files from my host system to the virtual machine? I've been searching for a way to do it but haven't had any luck so far. I believe this feature is absolutely essential to derive any usefulness from this software.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. MatthewR20

MatthewR20 Most valuable person

Shared folders: supported in Parallels Desktop 18 and newer with macOS Ventura and newer virtual machines and above, whereby on your virtual machine side, you will see the "My Shared Files" location providing you access to your Mac's Home folder.
    [​IMG]
    For earlier versions, it is suggested to share files between the virtual machine and the Mac using the native macOS file-sharing feature.

3. MatthewR20

4. ThomasK56

ThomasK56 Bit poster

Thanks for the response.
    So, does this mean I'll have to pay for another update of Parallels? But even if I do, I won't be able to access the added functionality until I upgrade to macOS Ventura, which isn't an option for me at the moment. Consequently, I'm left with no means to exchange data between my Mac's operating system and the one on the virtual machine. Is that correct?

5. MatthewR20

You can turn on the native macOS file-sharing feature inside of the guest VM and then access it from Finder in the host.