Keyboard gone haywire with Sonoma 14.4 (guest/host) and PD 19.3.0

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JeremyL13, Mar 8, 2024.

1. JeremyL13

JeremyL13

I updated my host OS, guest OS and Parallels Desktop:

Guest OS: Sonoma 14.4
    Host OS: Sonoma 14.4 (Intel-based iMac)
    Parallels Dekstop: 19.3.0

and found that the keyboard started repeating space characters or newlines like crazy even though I just pressed the key a few times. Caps lock also turns on in the guest OS randomly when I land on an editable text field (in an editor or in a browser).

I worked around the "repeat" issue by turning repeat off completely in System Settings, but the Caps lock problem remains. It's almost as if the guest OS is receiving some kind of "noise" from the keyboard.

Anyone experiencing the same? I turned off "keyboard for gaming" but there's no difference.

Thanks

2. FernandoG3

FernandoG3 Bit poster

Same here.
    Waiting for fix.

3. Adeboye Adeotan

Adeboye Adeotan Staff Member

Hello Fernando,

please collect a technical report while the issue is being reproduced (click the Parallels icon > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.

4. Adeboye Adeotan

Hello Jeremy,

please collect a technical report while the issue is being reproduced (click the Parallels icon > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.

5. FernandoG3

FernandoG3 Bit poster

id 453644735
    Regards

6. Adeboye Adeotan

Hi Fernando,

Thank you for the provided data. Please perform the following actions to collect additional data.
    1. Make sure the virtual machine is not running.
    2. Open its configuration as per https://kb.parallels.com/117287 > Hardware > Boot Order > Advanced Settings.
    3. Paste the following system flag:

devices.hid.log.keyboard=1
    devices.hid.log.mouse=0
    devices.hid.log.pen=0
    devices.hid.log.depth=100

4. Start your virtual machine again and reproduce the issue.
    Please collect an additional technical report (click Parallels icon > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID as well as the result of the flag test in a reply to this e-mail.

7. Kent_Boortz

Kent_Boortz Junior Member

I thought it was just me, but same problems here.

I disabled caps lock in both guest and host, and the random caps lock problem seems to be gone for me. I.e.

Settings... -> Keyboard -> Modifier Keys -> Caps Lock -> No action

I did not have the key repeat problem until today, several days after the update and struggling with the caps lock problem. I will try your solution to disable the repeat completely in Settings.