macOS Sonoma 14 and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Mikhail Ushakov, Sep 15, 2023.

?

Do you have any issues with running Parallels Desktop 19 on macOS Sonoma?

1. All good, thanks

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No, I have an issue

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Feel free to share your feedback about how Parallels Desktop runs on macOS Sonoma 14.

2. CzzC

CzzC Bit poster

Best Answer
    Hello, I really need your help, I installed a Parallels DEkstop virtual machine from an aimag with an m1 chip, everything was installed well, as soon as I downloaded the Neon Visual program in the virtual machine itself, notifications began to appear like a virus with the inscription "Scan Line index out of range", if anything I installed Windows 11.

3. WolfgangL11

WolfgangL11 Bit poster

I got a problem running Sonoma as guest system -- not sure if this is the right place to bring this up. I am running Sonoma Beta 6/23A5328b fine as a guest system, but cannot update to Beta 7 and now also not to the RC/23A339. It downloads fine, does something for a while, but then boots to Beta 6 in the previous state, announcing the available update as if nothing happened.

4. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

Yeah, I had to reset the VM when I tried going to RC from 5/6 with Parallels v17. The guest OS is really slow though I noticed. Not really testing it actively, so I won't have anything useful beyond that.

5. Mikhail Ushakov

Hi, would you reproduce the issue again and generate a report (Parallels Desktop icon > Help > Send technical data) at the moment of reproduction (when the OS boots to beta 6 in the previous state), please? Share the report ID with us then, please.

6. MartinB35

MartinB35 Bit poster

Er.... why would us clients be your QA dept??? You haven't even bothered to proper QA V19 for Ventura for M2

7. Carbonideus

Carbonideus Junior Member

Same bug exists in Parallels 19.

8. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello! We'd like to investigate the issue: kindly reproduce the issue again and collect a technical report: click Parallels icon > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press 'Send Report' and send the report's 9-digit ID in your reply.

9. ElizaS2

ElizaS2 Bit poster

I'm not able to run my electronic medical record documentation software program I originally bought parallels desktop for... it's been working fine, but since upgrading to Sonoma none of the dropdown menus work anymore. Been spending the last 7 hours trying to get it sorted, no luck.

10. Mikhail Ushakov

Thank you! What Parallels Desktop version are you using? I suppose Parallels Desktop 18? Would you share a screenshot and a technical report generated as described above, please?

11. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    As per the technical report provided, com.displaylink.driver.DisplayLinkDriver is running, however please note that DisplayLink drivers conflict with Parallels video driver as described in this article.
    As a possible solution, kindly follow the below steps:
    1. Open Terminal: You can find Terminal in Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
    2. Identify DisplayLink Kernel Extension: In Terminal, type the following command and press Enter to list all loaded kernel extensions:

kextstat | grep "displaylink"
      Note down the Bundle ID of the DisplayLink kernel extension. It will look something like com.displaylink.driver.DisplayLinkDriver.
    3. Unload DisplayLink Kernel Extension: Use the following command to unload the DisplayLink kernel extension:

sudo kextunload -b <Bundle ID>
      Replace <Bundle ID> with the actual Bundle ID you noted down in the previous step.

4. Delete DisplayLink Files: Next, delete the DisplayLink driver files. Use the following command to navigate to the Extensions folder and remove the DisplayLink kernel extension file:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/DisplayLinkDriver.kext

5. After completing these steps, restart your Mac to complete the uninstallation process.
    6. Switch on your virtual machine, and reinstall Parallels Tools: in the top menu click Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools, wait for the installation to finish, restart the virtual machine and verify if the issue is still present ?
    If the issue persists, for us to further investigate this issue, kindly reproduce the issue and collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thank you.

12. warnergt

warnergt Member

I have a new problem with Parallels 19.0.0 since updating to Sonoma 14.0.
    My guest VM is Snow Leopard server 10.6.8.
    In the guest VM, I have to click on menu commands twice before they work.
    This happens in the Finder and in apps (e.g. Photoshop).
    Very annoying. What happened?

13. ElizaS2

ElizaS2 Bit poster

Hi! Yes, it was 18. It seems as though version 18 wasn't compatible with Sonoma, so I upgraded to Parallels 19. I had thought when I purchased my original Parallels in July 2023 that I was buying the subscription with all the updates, but I actually had purchased the one-time version accidentally. So now I've purchased both. Wish I hadn't made that mistake as it cost me the extra $130 in addition to the subscription fee, but now it works as it should. Thanks for the reply.

14. ElizaS2

ElizaS2 Bit poster

@Mikhail Ushakov it does, however, seem like Coherence view is gone (or whatever the ability to see both Mac screens and Windows screens at the same time is called). I either have to be in Windows, or be in Mac, and frustratingly the Mac buttons don't always show up at the bottom of my windows screen as quickly as I need them to so I can switch over. Is there a way to bring this back so I can see both Mac screens and Windows screens on the same desktop?

15. Mikhail Ushakov

Hi Eliza,
    Yes, most likely, Parallels Tools aren't installed properly. Try to reinstall them (just a few clicks):
    1. Right-click the Windows icon in Dock > Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools.
    2. Follow on-screen instructions.
    3. Once Parallels Tools are installed, it'll offer you to restart Windows. Please do that.
    Upon that the issue should be fixed.

16. Carbonideus

Carbonideus Junior Member

Bug is gone after installing Parallels Tools again.

17. warnergt

warnergt Member

This appears to be a Parallels 19 problem. I tried reinstalling Parallels Tools with no luck. I even went back to a VM that still had the Parallels 18 tools installed. That did not work correctly either.

18. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    We have created a case and contacted you via email to follow up.
    Thank you.

19. ST_5

ST_5 Bit poster

I can't connect to my iPhone. When connect iPhone with a USB cable and selected to connect to a Parallels virtual machine, but Finder does not show my iPhone device.
    I tried to reconnect physically and from the device menu, but nothing changes. The device menu shows checked mark but not found on Finder.

20. AHunter3

AHunter3 Member

I have removed the DisplayLink.kext and rebooted the host OS, and also tried reinstalling Parallel Tools, but my Sonoma VM environment is still showing a snow-white screen for Desktop after it finishes booting. I previously posted screen shots showing the Sonoma environment nearly-finished-booting (chosen Desktop Picture loaded normally) and then a moment later after fully finished booting (Desktop reverts to whited out). If you wish I can link to those again. I can also repeat the process of making a technical report and sending it along with screen shots if you wish.

If you can make any other recommendations I'd appreciate it. I can use Sonoma this way but it isn't elegant.

21. AHunter3

AHunter3 Member

My report ID is 439198775.

22. henry19

henry19 Bit poster

After upgraded to Sonoma, the Parallels kept my MacBook from sleep mode, and sometimes it crashed when the Mac tried to enter sleep mode. I sent the report, the report ID is 439213837. Hope someone will get back to me

23. ST_5

ST_5 Bit poster

Thank you for your reply.
    I noticed that my USB display with DisplayLink drivers was repeatedly switching between connected and disconnected accidentally. I also realized that my Sonoma VM was showing my iPhone in Finder.
    As a result, I disconnected the USB display and now it is working fine.

24. AHunter3

AHunter3 Member

I've never needed DisplayLink on this computer. What happened was that I duplicated the entire volume from an older computer (a 2011-vintage MBPro) and then installed Mojave on top of it; I used DisplayLink on the older computer because it only had one Thunderbolt port and no other way to support an external monitor except by using one of the USB ports. On this computer, I have all the external monitors I could ever wish for via the thunderbolt ports and an external breakout box. But removing DisplayLink.kext didn't fix my Sonoma VM.

25. Mikhail Ushakov

26. warnergt

warnergt Member

I just discovered that if I go to Configuration->Mouse & Keyboard->Mouse: and set it for "Don't optimize for games," the problem goes away.
    It was previously set for "Optimize for games." I think that was a fix for some problem I had in the past.

27. CzzC

CzzC Bit poster

Best Answer
    Hello, I really need your help, I installed a Parallels DEkstop virtual machine from an aimag with an m1 chip, everything was installed well, as soon as I downloaded the Neon Visual program in the virtual machine itself, notifications began to appear like a virus with the inscription "Scan Line index out of range", if anything I installed Windows 11.