Parallels 19 desktop for mac will not import VirtualBox vms

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by RichardR25, Feb 7, 2024.

1. RichardR25

RichardR25 Bit poster

I have Parallels 19 Desktop for MAC - Pro Edition and I'm trying to import a VirtualBox debian bullseye guest into Parallels. I cloned the VirtualBox guest with VirtualBox, booted the clone, uninstalled the VirtualBox guest additions, rbooted the VM, shut the VM down, clicked "Open" from the Parallels File menu, went to the clone's directory in vitualbox, clicked on the .vbox file and literally nothing happened. No error, no conversion screen, literally nothing. I tried this process with both the vbox file as well as the .vdi file.

Nothing I try or that I am doing seems to be working. Parallels literally does nothing after clicking open and either file.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. RichardR25

RichardR25 Bit poster

The same thing happens when I try to import a Windows 10 VirtualBox VM (clone with VM guest additions removed).
    I also tried importing a VM from VMWare Fusion - same result. It literally does nothing.

3. RichardR25

RichardR25 Bit poster

Still no joy after updates... this apparently used to work. The kb article is now useless as it does not work. Seems like more and more functionality is being trimmed out of Parallels or stops functioning... Thinking vmware fusion or virtualbox might end up being a better solution after all... which is a shame since Parallels used to be so good.

4. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello!
    In order to proceed with further investigation, kindly provide us with the below information:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply.
    Thank you!