Running Autodesk Inventor (M2 Pro)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by JacobM16, Jan 31, 2024.

1. JacobM16

JacobM16 Bit poster

Hey guys, I recently ordered another MacBook Pro with the M2 Pro chip as I really am not a fan of PC computers, along with the fact that I want to be able to use Mac OS for many (probably obvious) reasons. However, I absolutely need to run Autodesk products (Inventor, Revit, Advance Steel, Navisworks, etc).

That said, I've heard mixed reviews about using Inventor with Parallels. So, what is the best way to set myself up to be able to do this smoothly? Note that I won't be doing heavy design with this computer, simply to access files, update drawings etc, the basics.

Thanks in advance!

Tariq1 likes this.
  2. Tariq1

Tariq1 Bit poster

Hey there! I have the same question.

Did you find out anymore about this? Or are you running Inventor on the M2 chip and what is your experience?

I wish to purchase one for similar reasons and I primarily need to do dynamics simulations for assemblies of about 500 parts.

Thank you!

3. JacobM16

JacobM16 Bit poster

I'm running Inventor on the M2 and it's just fine! Graphics are not the fastest, but no complaints so far other than the fact that when I attempted to allow Parallels to use 16GB of RAM, I had to reinstall everything as Inventor would immediately crash.

No complaints so far!

Tariq1 likes this.
  4. Tariq1

Tariq1 Bit poster

thank you! may I ask how large the assemblies are and have you done any dynamic simulation? And when you say graphics are not the fastest what do you mean? Does it lag?

Thank you!

5. JacobM16

JacobM16 Bit poster

The large assemblies are just fine, if I compare it to my desktop workstation it's not the same but not far off. What do you mean by dynamic simulation? The only lag I notice is when I select a plane to draw a sketch and Inventor pans to the plane for me to draw (a bit odd that it's the only issue, but I'll take it). Otherwise, so far so good!

6. Tariq1

Tariq1 Bit poster

Under the environments tab you will see dynamic simulation. This allows you to simulate real time interactions between moving parts.

may I ask how much of ram you have in total?

Thanks again for taking the time.