Sound input clipping workaround... in GA (no more robot sound)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by unused_user_name, Jun 15, 2006.

1. dkwehe

dkwehe Member

ahmontgo certainly deserves the credit for the ingenious idea, and bravo to you dNb for moving it a generation further along. I'm looking forward to giving it a try, but it looks a bit advanced.

Having tried OSX ViaVoice and iListen, DNS9 is my reason for running Parallels. I'll order the new MacTel desktops once Parallels is running on them.

Thank you both for your creative ideas.

-- david.

2. Robert Freeman

Robert Freeman Bit poster

Help for a novice with DNS 9

OK, this thread has me almost ready to order DNS 9 to install in my Windows XP VM under the very latest parallels desktop just installed for my Macbook pro. However, most of the posts are way over my head. Can someone give me a step by step tutorial on any work arounds still needed before I install DNS 9 and any steps needed to save in DNS to my mac applications? Thanks.:p

3. abbas_abdul

abbas_abdul Bit poster

Unable to get USB Head Set to Work

Sorry for what maybe a dumb question. But i see that many users are able to run DNS9 on Parallels. I have tried to follow the instructions on the fourm but i just can not get my Logitech USB headset to work. When i go to the Paralles -> Devices --> USB --> Logitech USB Headset
    I get the following Error "USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually."

I have no other application running, has any one else run into this problem. Do i need a different brand headset?

Thanks
    abbas

4. dkwehe

dkwehe Member

I'm not too sure about your question, but as I understand it, most people have their USB microphones set up in the Mac OS X side first. Then when you launch the Windows side, the microphone is already captured there. You probably have to have installed Parallels Tools to share the USB ports, but I didn't have to do any inquiries on the Windows side regarding whether a microphone was visible.

Hope this helps,

dkwehe

5. dkwehe

dkwehe Member

Robert:

There aren't any workarounds needed now if you just want to dictate into DNS 9. Get the microphone setup in the Mac OS X side so the volume is near full. You probably need to have installed Parallels Tools, but that's about it. Dictate into DNS and then cut and paste into your Mac applications, or save the files into a Shared Folder and access them from the Mac side.

Life gets more interesting if you want to dictate using DNS directly into Mac applications. That is what seems complicated to you and requires some playing around to get it right. Start with the paragraph above, and once you're comfortable with the cut and paste route, then you can start exploring some of the more exotic techniques described in this thread.

dkwehe

6. abbas_abdul

abbas_abdul Bit poster

Cant get OS X to release Mic

I reinstalled Parallels Tools and tried again, and got the same issue OS x will not release the mic to Windows. Still get the following error
    "USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually."

I went out and bought a Griffin iMic thinking logitech headset was an issue, to no avail. If its working for you guys then there must either be something wrong with my software setup or my hardware. I am thinking its my Macbook pro occasionally i get an error stating 'the usb port is drawing to much energy and will be shut off', although other usb devices such as printer and flash drive work fine. I will see if i can borrow someone else's machine and see if the Mic recognizes there.
    Thanks for the help.

7. ahmontgo

ahmontgo Bit poster

Don't try to "capture" the USB device under Parallels. Before starting up Parallels, go to System Preferences->Sound and make sure that the headset you would like to use is selected under Input and that the input volume is high enough.

Then start up Parallels. It will automatically use the same audio input as Mac OS X.

8. stephtara

stephtara Bit poster

When you say "inside parallels" is it parallels desktop or parallels workstation? I don't really understand the difference between the two.

9. joem

joem Forum Maven

Parallels Desktop is the name of the Mac version of the product. Parallels workstation is the name of the product for other hosts. Why there are two different names for what is essentially the same product escapes my feeble little brain.

10. brunchboy

brunchboy Bit poster

Direct support would be nicer

I'd really like to be able to keep system-level audio coming out the Mac speakers, and within Cisco's IP Communicator under XP in Parallels, configure the phone audio to use the Logitech USB headset.

For that to work, Parallels would need to be able to "take over" the headset as a Windows device. Is there any hope for that in the future?

11. ChicagoMac

ChicagoMac Bit poster

I just got DNS9, and I've been frustrated by how poorly it works on my Parallels VM. This thread is great! Unfortunately, I'm not computer literate enough to understand everyone's jargon. Could someone explain how to make DNS9 work in simpler terms? I'm particularly interested in the method dNb described on 8/21/06.

Many thanks,