SSH from Raspberry Pi OS vm to host OSX

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by StephenP14, Jan 23, 2024.

1. StephenP14

StephenP14 Bit poster

Hello there,
    What I'm really trying to do is get an X11 app like Chromium to run on my Raspberry Pi OS vm and display on my OSX host.
    If you know how to make that work, let me know. :)

OSX 12.6.6
    Raspberry Pi
    Linux raspberry 5.10.0-15-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.120-1 (2022-06-09) x86_64 GNU/Linux

It seems like I should be able to ssh from the rPi vm to the Mac. SSH is turned on, on the Mac and it can ssh to itself.

In OSX the firewall is set to off and I've rebooted. (https://www.autodesk.com/support/te...rewall is enabled,", and restart the Firewall.)

I am running Xquartz on the Mac, and it is displaying a fine xterm like it's 1989! Seems like I should be able to just set the display correctly and rPi Chromium will appear on the Mac and finally cut and paste will work properly!
    From rPi to Mac I'm getting:
    sbp@raspberry:~ $ ssh sbp@10.211.55.1
    ssh: connect to host 10.211.55.1 port 22: Connection refused

Not sure where I'm going wrong here.

ramans1 likes this.
  2. Maxim Rasulov

Maxim Rasulov Staff Member

Hello.

Look like you're on Shared network, the address you're trying to access would look logical on one hand, but its the address of the internal nat\dhcp for shared network.

Mac host has an address 10.211.55.2 in shared network environment(you can also check this with ifconfig command in terminal), so if you execute:
    ssh sbp@10.211.55.2 instead, you should be able to establish a connection.

Should that approach also have an issue, send us a tech report ID after an attempt: (Click on the Parallels Desktop icon in the Mac menu bar -> Help -> Send technical data -> check "Attach screenshots..." -> press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID as a reply to this message.

3. StephenP14

StephenP14 Bit poster

Aha! You are so right! (I probably knew this at one point and forgot). Thanks for your timely help!

For anyone who wants to run a Raspberry Pi OS vm in Parallels, and display it's windows on your host machine, I've worked up instructions for that here:

https://www.tikimojo.com/2024/01/tricks-with-raspberry-pi-os/

(I expect to add instructions for Windows hosts soonish)

4. johnh86

johnh86 Bit poster

check your X11 configuration file setting on the Raspberry pi OS
    check ForwardX11 yes is enable in the file