Tried to Boot In Safe - Stuck Booting in Recovery

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by AlexanderaH, Mar 9, 2024.

1. AlexanderaH

AlexanderaH

Software: Parallels 17.1.2
    VM: Mojave 10.14.6
    Problem: After following directions to boot into "Safe Mode" system is stuck booting into Recovery. **I found a workaround, but it's still defaulting to booting in to Recovery. ** Posting here to both find better solution and to help someone stuck in same spot.
    Steps: To troubleshoot a buggy software, I wanted to boot into Safe mode and I followed these directions to the letter: https://kb.parallels.com/en/124181
    which told me to shut down the VM, go into Control Center--> Hardware--> Advanced and paste the following system flag: devices.mac.boot_args="-x -v"
    This did not boot into Safe, but into Recovery.
    Directions further stated that to undo this, all I needed to do was remove delete the system flag, but that hasn't worked.
    Additional Solutions Tried:
    -From this article, I pasted boot-args="" into "advanced" but that didn't work.
    Successful Workaround: I checked the option to "select boot disk on startup," and the third drive I tried solved it and let me boot into my VM. Still, not sure how to undo the boot into recovery default that seems to be happening.
    Info I Haven't Tried: This Thread Looks to have relavent, useful info, but it's above my paygrade, and I'm getting nervous about efifng this up even more