Ubuntu Server - Network doesn't work with Linked Clone

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Derek_Mandel, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Derek_Mandel

Derek_Mandel Bit poster

Currently just downloaded the latest version of Parallels (10.1) on Yosemite. I have a Ubuntu Server (latest) instance and would like to use the new Linked Clone feature. However, after creating the clone, the clone doesn't have network access (even with the original turned off). It's using a bridge network (has to be) with the default adapter, and I've made sure to generate a new MAC address for the clone as well.

Would anyone happen to have a fix for this issue? Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. James_Dundon

James_Dundon Bit poster

I can confirm this is happening for me as well. I just tried to take a working Ubuntu 14.04 server image, which I just setup, and create a linked clone. The linked clone is created fine, boots, but can't find any network cards. I have tried both the Virtio and Intel drivers as well as removing the NIC and adding two more.

Please help!

3. James_Dundon

James_Dundon Bit poster

I just straight cloned my base image and the same behavior happened so this is not simply a Linked Clone issue.

4. James_Dundon

James_Dundon Bit poster

I found a fix.

When you run "dmesg | grep eth" you can see that the clones are colliding with the old instance of the card from the base machine and being assigned a new ETH number. you can either go into your /etc/network/interfaces file and change the interface to ethX to match the message (or what you see in "ifconfig -a") or you can delete the following file and reboot:
    /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules​

I found most of this information at this article: http://askubuntu.com/questions/9375/new-mac-address-now-i-have-no-network-access

I hope that helps someone.

Jake_Woods likes this.
  5. Jake_Woods

Jake_Woods Bit poster

It helped me. Thanks!

6. CasperY

CasperY Bit poster

It really solved my big problems. Thanks a lot!