Will Windows 10 (for Intel) work with Parallels running on a Mac M1 or M2? (Altium Designer)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DavidA4, Jun 18, 2023.

1. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

The title says it all. I'm considering upgrading my old 2015 MacBook Pro - to an M1 or M2 MacBook Pro (MBP). I might consider a refurbished MBP so it is possible I might buy anything built in the years 2021 to present. I don't know if the manufacture date of a MBP matters much when considering running my original Windows 10 copy.

Or, is it the case that you can only run ARM based Windows with Parallels on an M1/M2 MBP? I know very little about that to be honest.

I plan to run Altium Designer using Parallels (as I have done since 2015) - but my 2015 MBP is an Intel based machine. Not sure if there would be any problems if I made the upgrade and attempted to get Altium Designer running.

Thanks for any info and/or your personal experiences.

2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hi David,
    Let me provide you with more details on that:
    1. You won't be able to move any virtual machines from a Mac with an Intel processor to a Mac with Apple silicon due to the difference in the architecture. As a result, you'll need to create a new Windows 11 virtual machine which can be done with a few clicks. Apps that worked in Windows 10 should keep working in Windows 11 as well. So, Windows 11 instead of Windows 10 shouldn't be a problem here.
    2. Install and run Altium inside the virtual machine. It should run well based on the data we have (but it's always better to check yourself first).

3. Trishna Oobeyram

Trishna Oobeyram Staff Member

Hello,
    Thank you for reaching out to Parallels.
    Unfortunately, Windows 10 is not supported on Mac with M1 or M2 chips.
    In case you are upgrading to M-series Mac, you will need to find out if your application is compatible with ARM based Windows 11 for it to run smoothly.
    Regards

4. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

I don't believe Altium Designer is compatible with the ARM based Windows running under Parallels. My 2015 MBP is too slow to run Windows 10 under Parallels - so, I tend to not use Altium on my MacBook any longer. Oh well. Running Altium on my MacBook was nice while it lasted.

5. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hi David,
    Let me provide you with more details on that:
    1. You won't be able to move any virtual machines from a Mac with an Intel processor to a Mac with Apple silicon due to the difference in the architecture. As a result, you'll need to create a new Windows 11 virtual machine which can be done with a few clicks. Apps that worked in Windows 10 should keep working in Windows 11 as well. So, Windows 11 instead of Windows 10 shouldn't be a problem here.
    2. Install and run Altium inside the virtual machine. It should run well based on the data we have (but it's always better to check yourself first).

6. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

I've visited the Altium forum and have read a post describing very poor performance of Altium running in the ARM based Windows 11 as a virtual machine in Parallels.

7. DavidE7

DavidE7 Member

I'm running on a Mac Studio M2 Ultra, it is close to unusable.
    Doesn't matter how many cores or ram I assign, Altium is slower than running it on a 15 year old base level PC.

Any tips & tricks on what can be tuned to speed things up?