windows 7 driver missing

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bones97, Jul 28, 2012.

1. bones97

bones97 Junior Member

Using Parallels Workstation 6. Ubuntu 12.04 host and Windows XP guest.

Windows XP is activated (and legit) and I have a Windows 7 upgrade DVD (legit). During Win 7 upgrade, in the beginning when you click "install now" (normally you go straight to custom or upgrade install) i get prompted for missing Window 7 drivers.

Anybody now what to do.

2. bones97

bones97 Junior Member

I solved the problem.

Launched the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD from the the CD ROM Drive while XP is ALREADY booted, loaded, an running, (rather than booting directly at startup). I am not even sure if you can install this way from XP, but it prompted me to install, and when it did so it autmatically went online to get missing drivers.

My virtual harddrive was formated FAT32, so I couldn't proceed with installation at this point, but I then rebooted directly into the physial upgrade DVD this time, and it permitted me to get past my earlier driver barrier wall and proceed with Custom Install, Format Drives, and Install.

The only minor 'bump' was after install the ethernet adapter still wasn't recognized so still no internet connection on the virtual machine. So in parallels configuration I swithced the type of OS from "XP" to "Windows 7" and then reloaded parallel tools, and smooth sailing from there.

3. bones97

bones97 Junior Member

I found an even better way. Convert your physical DVD to an iso file. I didn't even get prompted with missing driver message.

4. James DonovanJ

James DonovanJ Junior Member

Thanks bones for help me..

5. bones97

bones97 Junior Member

Welcome. Glad I was able to help.

For anybody out there who has come across this thread, I find it much easier to work with iso images. The best iso converter imho is http://alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm. I run into problems trying to clean install XP with an iso image, but no problem whatsoever with Windows 7. The easiest way to get past the dreaded 'missing driver' message when upgrading from XP to Windows 7 is to change the Parellel setting's OS type from "XP" to "Windows 7" before attempting to upgrade. If you still run into missing driver, then just reinstall parallels tools and try again. After upgrade, you'll want to update parallel tools anyway.

6. bones97

bones97 Junior Member

You are very welcome!! :)