Windows 7 intermittent display problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation Extreme Discussion' started by CADViz, Jun 27, 2011.

1. CADViz

CADViz Bit poster

Hi there,

I've been using a few systems now running Windows 7 as the Guest OS and both Quadro FX 3800 and now Quadro 2000. Generally the stability is fine however there seems to be an intermittent 'blink' where the display driver drops out momentarily (all displays go black for a couple seconds and then all the windows have to redraw). I am wondering if this is a known issue and if there are any suggestions on minimising or eliminating it. Perhaps tuning the driver settings or something. It seems to get worse/better with some versions of the Quadro driver but generally has been present in some form for quite some time. It is perhaps most pronounced when pushing the graphics card a bit for example running AutoCAD. Anyway, I could start randomly trying adjustments to the driver settings but I thought someone out there might have some knowledge about this.

Regards,

Erik

2. Nicole D

Nicole D Bit poster

re

Sign In to Vote
    Sign In to Vote
    I am having the exact same problem...i have been searching for 2 or 3 days for a fix and cant find one. I have also updated all drivers, tried messing with different screen resolutions and still nothing. Although, ive noticed when i set the performance to "Best Performance" instead of "Best Appearence", it seems to slow the flickering down. Dosent do it as often!! I have a 7900 GS KO Nvidia video card, 2.4ghz dual core amd, and 2gig Kingston mem...so i know its not my hardware causeing the prob. Not the best, but up to date anyway... :)

3. CADViz

CADViz Bit poster

Yes I think you are on the right track with adjusting the visual styles of win 7. I have used Parellels for some time and it was extremely stable with windows xp64 as a guest but windows 7 as guest doesn't yeild the same reliability. It must have something to do with how windows7 interacts with the graphics system. I must say that with each new build from Parallels and as the quadro drivers the situation seems to be getting better. Lets hope for the magic combination of driver and Parallels that gets it just right.

4. kyliej

kyliej Banned

I am having the exact same problem...i have been searching for 2 or 3 days for a fix and cant find one. I have also updated all drivers, tried messing with different screen resolutions and still nothing. Although, ive noticed when i set the performance to "Best Performance" instead of "Best Appearence", it seems to slow the flickering down. Dosent do it as often!! I have a 7900 GS KO Nvidia video card, 2.4ghz dual core amd, and 2gig Kingston mem...so i know its not my hardware causeing the prob. Not the best, but up to date anyway...

Test4prep | Cisco CCNA Certification | Cisco CCIE Certification