Shared Networking no longer works

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by David Esp, Mar 17, 2010.

1. David Esp

David Esp Member

Shared Networking used to work but no longer does, cause unknown. Bridged networking works but that can be inconvenient. Running Windows 7 Pro 64 (all updates) Boot Camp VM on Parallels Desktop Build 5.0.9344 on a Mac Book Pro, Snow Leopard, all updates. Tried reinstalling Parallels Tools but no difference. Just updated to this version (hence a fresh Parallels Tools got installed), but the same thing happened as under the previous version.

Please, anything I can do to diagnose (and hopefully fix) the problem?

I did ipconfig/all and note that there are two Tunnel adapters, both of which say "Media disconnected". I am not familiar with such things but naively wonder if "disconnected" is something to do with the issue. Also I went into Wiindows 7's "Network and Sharing Center" and it shows the VM linked to "Unidentified network" (presumably the Parallels Ethernet Adaptor) not-linked (has a red cross over the link) to the Internet. Attempts by Windows to repair this link-break are unsuccessful.

Looking in Windows 7's "Network Connections", the "Local Area Connection 2" (also known as "Unidentified network" and "Parallels Ethernet Adaptor") has, under its status, "IPv4 Connectivity" and "IPv6 Connectivity", both have "No internet access". Also Media State is "Enabled".

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please make sure that you are using Shared Networking. Then click Start -> Run and execute cmd.exe. Type in the appeared window command "ipconfig /all" (make sure that all output fits to the window). Then, without closing the window, click Parallels Destkop menu "Help"->"Report a Problem", send a problem report (it is not necessary to provide description) and post here the report ID.

3. David Esp

David Esp Member

ID 4015266

Thank you

4. ecstaticax

ecstaticax Bit poster

Hi, I have the same problem.

Bridge works, shared doesn't. On any guest OS.

This is my ticket: 892054.

I hope you can help. Regards.

5. David Esp

David Esp Member

Just read http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=99543 advising alternative internet security eg Kapersky 2010. Currently I run Parallels internet security which I understand is Kapersky 2009. Should I try installing 2010 or would that just complicate the issue? Is it simply a case of going to Boot Camp and installing 2010 from there or will it upset Parallels ?

6. ecstaticax

ecstaticax Bit poster

Problem was solved. It was because of "Little Snitch". Regards.

7. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It seems that the problem is due to Hardware Address of NetworkCard in VirtualMachine. It is D4-9A-20-C5-73-4E and Parallels Shared Networking doesn't like it, because this address starts with D4 (I can't remember the reason why it is so.. may it is just incorrect check in code). Whether this address was created by Parallels? If it doesn't, I'd recommend to change it to C4-....-4E

If after this the bridged networking will not work and you need it, try the solution in http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=400356&postcount=8

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Oops! C4 will not work also. Better change it to 00.

9. David Esp

David Esp Member

Works now. And cautionary tale to others re MAC address.

Elric, you are indeed the wizard! That was an obscure problem, well-spotted. It works now. I guess you'd better reply at least once more so I can click on that as the official "Good Answer" (or whatever).

About the MAC Address:

Parallels' "Generate' button always seems to make MAC addresses beginning "00:" followed by two pairs of hex-digits that are always the same (not shown here in case they are unique to my machine - don't know, just "playing safe"). I guess that restriction increases the chance of address "collision" by the way. Meanwhile, maybe the Config dialog should warn about consequence of using MAC addresses outside this range. Just a suggestion.

How it got to be different (and why others might get into the same tangle):

My BootCamp-based VM's MAC address was different to original (Parallels-assigned) because I entered it manually to be the same as my physical machine, following advice in several threads of this forum, in order to avoid re- activation problems for the legitimate OS (MS Windows) and apps (MS Office) that I had already installed under BootCamp. That advice did not work and it appears that furthermore it got me into trouble. So maybe threads like that are obsolete and need a "health warning", at least for the Parallels-5 & Windows 7 combination (whatever). In the end a phone call to MS was all I needed to get activated, they do understand about Parallels nowwadays it seems (I didn't expect that, as various older threads suggesting otherwise). The reason I tried the "same MAC" workaround first was because it had sounded simplest at the time...

Not your problem, but as a warning to others, as a knock-on effect of changing my VM's MAC address (back to its original value, as when I had first installed Parallels), MS Office detects this as "changes to the hardware". I was afraid of that! Reactivation turned out to be painless this time though.

So overall a cautionary tale, bearing out that "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

10. Doug Cooper

Doug Cooper Bit poster

I'm having the same problem others have mentioned here...or at least similar. I more often than not do not have an Internet connection when switching to Parallels 5 win 7 64 vial Boot Camp.

Your problem report has been sent to the Parallels Support team with ID 5732119.

Thanks for any help you can provide me.
    Doug

11. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

There is some problem with the report, could you please resend it?

12. Doug Cooper

Doug Cooper Bit poster

New Support ID

Eric,
    Here is the new (updated) Support ID: 5732510.
    Thanks for your assistance.
    Doug

13. Sean C

Sean C Bit poster

Here is my support ID - 5909000

Same problem.

14. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    according to th problem report you are using now the BridgedNetworking mode. It is not guaranteed to work in all environments.

I suggest to try to switch to the SharedNetworking

15. Sean C

Sean C Bit poster

I must of sent the problem report after trying various other network settings.. Here is a new one with just Shared Networking.

ID 5909245

Same problem exists, always has since day one which was new installs of Snow Leopard, Parallels 5 & Win 7.

16. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Unfortunately this report misses output of ipconfig /all

17. Sean C

Sean C Bit poster

I'm not sure why or how since the problem reporting process is automated?? Does it not include the ipconfig information or do I need to do something different?

Here is the output from ipconfig /all. Interesting the the IP assigned is a 10.x.x.x range which isn't coming from my DHCP server, it is set to 192.x.x.x. The VM Network Device is set to Shared Networking. Interestingly, if I manually select the Ethernet device, I get the correct IP range of 192.x.x.x but still no internet. I guess doing that flips it to Bridged Mode.

Any help is appreciated.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\sean>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : sean-win7
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : localdomain

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : localdomain
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Parallels Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-42-EB-04-0E
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7579:ce79:7dcc:1e04%11(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.211.55.5(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 28, 2010 9:22:57 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, June 04, 2010 9:22:57 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.211.55.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234888258
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-27-****-8B-8B-FD

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.211.55.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.localdomain:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : localdomain
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

18. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

the IP-address 10.211.55.5 is correct. It is exactly how it should be for SharedNetworking. Let's continue in this mode

==

The thing that confuses me is that there are two DefaultGateways - 0.0.0.0 and 10.211.55.1

the 0.0.0.0 must be removed. It seems to be a microsoft problem.

Your case looks similar to case in http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mi...ateway-0-0-0-0-local-network-access-only.html and the solution below have helped.

> 1. Click on Start button.
    > 2. Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
    > 3. Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as
    > Administrator. Allow the elevation request.
    > 4. Type
    > netsh int ip reset
    > in the cmd windows, and then press the Enter key.
    > 5. Restart the computer

19. Sean C

Sean C Bit poster

Should the IP range match my network?? I'm running 192.x.x.x and this is in the 10.x.x.x range. Aside from the extra gateway, it would seem the the Network Interface isn't reaching the network or my DHCP server.

Just ran you instructions and even thought the new IP is 10.x.x.x the 0.0.0.0 gateway is gone and I can see the internet. Strange... Do you think this is a permanent cure or just temporary?

Thanks

20. ViktorV

ViktorV Bit poster

Check DHCP

Also check that the Parallels DHCP server for Shared Network is running (under preferences - see attached images)

Attached Files: