Parallels Mounter won't mount VM

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DerryckC, Jan 5, 2011.

1. DerryckC

DerryckC Member

"Either the hard disk has no volumes or its file system is not supported or contains errors. Start your virtual machine and check the disk for file system errors."

That's the text of the error message that opens when I attempt to mount any of the VMs I have - Ubuntu, Windows XP or 7. The XP install is a fresh one, which did seem to open at first, but subsequently now doesn't, can't comment on the others. There's nothing wrong with the file system or anything else that I know of.

What next, please?

Parallels 6.0.11992, Mac Pro, 6-Core Intel Xeon 3.33 GHz, 6 cores, 6G memory, ATI HD 5870 video card.

2. txrpls

txrpls Member

Ditto with the same issue. 11992. I think this only happened after OS 10.6.6 upgrade.

3. GlennFx

GlennFx Bit poster

Ditto with me. After the Parallels and 10.6.6 upgrade, file sharing is pretty broken. Files still show up under \\psf on windows, though.

4. DerryckC

DerryckC Member

10.6.6 seems to be the common denominator here then, I forgot to add that detail to my list.

Anyone from Parallels Support listening?

5. Looser

Looser Bit poster

Same with me!!

How many are we now?

6. viasoft

viasoft Bit poster

It's impossible to mount my VM's
    Why is Parallels not answering this question?

Djordie

7. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  8. txrpls

txrpls Member

No there is not a problem with MacFuse, there is a problem with Parallels 6.0.11992. Everything worked perfectly fine until your latest release of Parallels. There are numerous other threads on this forum about other problems with Parallels current release. I did not buy a high powered machine to run it crippled.

9. txrpls

txrpls Member

this was in an email I just received:
    Here is the message that has just been posted:
    In Parallels Desktop 6 Update 1 we revert MacFuse from newer version to 2.0.3 (because we found some problems with new version of MacFuse).

I reverted to MacFuse 2.0.3 and Parallels 6.0.11992 still does not work. I don't beleive this is a MacFuse issue.

10. Stuw

MacFuse 2.0.3 doesn't work in 64-bit mode.

Problem on another forum:
    MacFUSE kext fails to load on Snow Leopard in 64-bit mode - http://www.mail-archive.com/macfuse@googlegroups.com/msg00887.html

from http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23729/macfuse

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  11. Stuw

When error from mounter appears type in terminal:
    % sudo dmesg | tail

You will se the following messages:
    Failed to load executable for kext com.google.filesystems.fusefs.
    Kext com.google.filesystems.fusefs failed to load (0xdc008016).
    Failed to load kext com.google.filesystems.fusefs (error 0xdc008016).
    kxld[com.google.filesystems.fusefs]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
    kxld[com.google.filesystems.fusefs]: _OSRuntimeFinalizeCPP
    kxld[com.google.filesystems.fusefs]: _OSRuntimeInitializeCPP
    Can't load kext com.google.filesystems.fusefs - link failed.
    Failed to load executable for kext com.google.filesystems.fusefs.
    Kext com.google.filesystems.fusefs failed to load (0xdc008016).
    Failed to load kext com.google.filesystems.fusefs (error 0xdc008016).

12. txrpls

txrpls Member

@ STU

I installed 2.1.7 and it mounts the drive. I was running 2.1.5 prior to the 6.0.11992 upgrade and it was working fine under 64 bit. I still think you have issues with the current release, but the experimental version of MacFuse seems to be working fine for me. Thanks for the link. I have been wanting to find out why I get a C and D drive mounted with Parallels Mounter and only a C on the desktop when the VM is loaded.

13. Stuw

I suppose that Parallels Mounter mounts hidden boot partition (this partition usually presents in windows vista/7).

14. txrpls

txrpls Member

Same Issue w/new update.

Just updated to 12090 and still have the same MacFUSE issue when trying to use mounter. Don't you guys think it is time to fix this problem and either update MacFuse or mac an equivalent?

15. kelvSYC

kelvSYC Bit poster

From what I've heard, MacFUSE is officially a dead project, and that Fuse4X (http://fuse4x.org) is its spiritual successor. Whether Parallels will use Fuse4X instead of MacFUSE in the future...

16. txrpls

txrpls Member

I don't care what they use as long as it works. I should have to mess with and running my machine in 64 bit is not an option!