VM in a "stopping state"

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Bossone, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Bossone

Bossone Bit poster

I try to log in to my XP virtual machine (which worked fine before) and it is just acting like it is loading or closing the the icon spinning. I get a box that says "unable to complete operation" since windows XP VM is in a stopping state. I can stop it and force it to quit, but it does no good. If I go into the configure mode, i get another box that comes up that says " Safe Mode can't not be used with Boot Camp hard disks.

My windows in boot camp works fine. Shutting down the machine does no good.

I have looked at the knowledge base under frozen machine and I see the uuid, but from there I don't understand how to sudo kill it? If that will even fix it.

HELP!!!!!!

2. Bossone

Bossone Bit poster

OK figured out how to sudo kill the VM which was in a stopping state, so I l killed that instance and it visibility shut down the VM which was running. I shut down the Mac and started it up again. When I went to start windows, I get a box that talks about the Safe mode can't be used with boot camp hard disks. One or more of your boot camp hard disks are enabled in the vm congfig. Such VM can not be started in safe mode.

Where to next?

3. BrittandraE

BrittandraE Bit poster

Me too!!!!

I tried starting VM in safe mode...got error that boot camp VM's can not start in safe mode...now each reboot opens VM trying to start in safe mood...WITH ERROR!. PLEASE HELP!

4. JacobN

JacobN Bit poster

Same here...

I've got the exact same problem - The Bootcamp partition works ok when booted through Bootcamp, but all of the sudden it stopped working in parallels - no ideas about how to make it stop from trying to boot into safe-mode although it is a bootcamp partition which should not be able to do this at all.

5. cvpsmith

cvpsmith Bit poster

EXACT same problem here!

I've been trying to get my Win7 boot camp partition to boot for the last four hours! Shutting down/rebooting doesn't help. It keeps trying to boot the Win7 VM in safe mode for some silly reason. Then I get the "Safe Mode cannot be used with Boot Camp hard disks" and then "This operation cannot be completed because the virtual machine 'My Boot Camp' is in the 'stopping' state". After that, it completely hangs!

Has ANYONE found a solution to this? How about some tech support here, Parallels?!

6. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Hi,

Please create a problem report (Help->Report a problem) with detailed description of problem.

Thanks.

7. JacobN

JacobN Bit poster

Found a solution!

Dear all,

I succeeded in finding a solution to this, which involves uninstalling Parallels totally. First you uninstall Parallels using the uninstaller that comes with the .dmg install package. Then you search for anything "Parallels"-related on your harddrive and deletes this (There are parallels folders in "Users/Shared/", in you home directory - /Documents/ and several places in the BOOTCAMP drive as well.) I'm not sure if you have to delete all of these - but it helped med doing that. After that you re-install Parallels, which means you have to reactivate your license, since the configuration files have been deleted. After that you reboot your machine, and startup parallels, which should now have the Bootcamp partition in its list of possible virtual machines. Select it, boot it and let it install parallels tools etc. all over again. Then you should be up and running - in almost no time (app 1 hour for me).

Jacob

8. RobertB1

RobertB1 Bit poster

You guys are something else. In order to contact you, we need to supply license key which by the way in "inside windows attached to an email!" Can't get at it so we can't get support because we can't access the information we need to create a simple request! If our business did support like this, we'd be out of business... How about answer to what Problem ID 416 is or does that require a request that we can't process?

9. RobertB1

RobertB1 Bit poster

Hi Jacob,

I tried this too but the uninstaller could not proceed because the VM was still shutting down?

10. Stuw

Before uninstall you could reboot your Mac or kill prl_vm_app by pid.

11. Eban64

Eban64 Bit poster

same problem

Hi,

i got the same problem-id 416. Is there still no easy step to fix this problem - do i really have to uninstall and install again?! Suck.

Thanks in advance. Eban

12. Eban64

Eban64 Bit poster

uninstall doesn´t work for me

what to do? Somebody can help me? Thats so frustrating :(

//Eban

13. Stuw

Hi,
    Could you please send a problem report (Help->Report a problem) ?

14. Eban64

Eban64 Bit poster

Hi Stuw,

i send the report to Parallels now - ID 11309740 - it is the same issue that JacobN and cvpsmith posted before. Exactly the same problem, besides that uninstalling and reinstalling doesn´t work for me …

Problem-id 416

Thanks in advance.

//Eban

15. Stuw

Thanks for report, it is very usefull for problem analysis.

Safe mode and snapshots are not supported for bootcamp vm's.
    To prevent the problem don't run bootcamp vms in safe mode and don't try to create snapshot.

To fix this ussue just edit VM's config.pvs and set SafeMode (and UndoDisks, if it's value is 1) value to 0.
    <UndoDisks>0</UndoDisks>
    <SafeMode>0</SafeMode>

After that reboot your mac. After the reboot it will be possible to start bootcamp vm (Virtual Machine -> Start).

16. Eban64

Eban64 Bit poster

Thanks. That sounds nice - hopefully it will work aswell. Just one question - where do i find this "config.pvs" file?

//Eban

17. Stuw

config.pvs is located within VM bundle.

18. Eban64

Eban64 Bit poster

Hallelujah!

Thank You Very Very Much!!!

It seems to work … just now the Tools are installing again - because of my uninstall & reinstall try yesterday …

//Eban

19. OsamaJ

OsamaJ Bit poster

I have same issue here but couldn't find the the file "config.pvs" could you kindly tell me where can I specifically find it?

20. Stuw

Open VM list -> right click on VM -> Show in Finder -> right click on VM's bundle -> Show Package Contents.