Mountain Lion Developer Preview as Guest OS

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Parallels User, Feb 16, 2012.

1. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

2. SylvainP

SylvainP Junior Member

Mountain Lion on Lion using Parallels Desktop 7

Yes.

But on my MacBook Air mid-2011 (Core i7 with 4 GB or RAM, the top model), it's darn slow...

Dr S.

3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

4. Installation Working for Me

Running an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro Core i7. Installing is running in a virtual machine...moving pretty quickly, as I have a Crucial M4 256GB SSD. Takes about 30 minutes total it looks like.

Mouse is a little sluggish inside the VM...but haven't installed Parallels Tools yet.

Will report back if it fails.

Tom

5. SylvainP

SylvainP Junior Member

Mountain Lion as a guest VM in OS X Lion

8 GB of RAM will help tremendously !

Can't go wrong with a SSD, but I have a Flash-based persistent storage on my 2011 MBA, so it should count as fast in the equation...

I did install the Parallels Desktop Tools, don't think it was such a good idea... Mouse is weird, in all my different setups (multiple vs single screen, Bluetooth external mouse and trackpad vs MBA trackpad only), it was sluggish as hell for one thing, but pointing on things was totally off the targets in all cases...

Peace out.

S.

6. Can't give it full 8 GB RAM, but bumping to 4 GB and 2 cores improved performance tremendously, though some apps (Mail) are still pretty sluggish. But, we should get a good feel for the OS with this setup...

I'm glad it's even possible!!!

7. Weavsnake

Weavsnake Bit poster

Parallels tools for Mac?

Trying to install OSX as Guest OS for first time. Is there a special set of Parallels tools for OSX? If so, I can't find them. I have the Windows tools on USB..?

8. SylvainP

SylvainP Junior Member

Parallels Tools

Assuming you are using Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac, the Parallels Tools can be installed after you have successfully installed and logged into your guest OS X installation, and then selecting Install Parallels Tools from one of the top menus (I think its Tools, could be named differently). Then it loads the Tools app as an external disc (like a CD/DVD medium).

After the installation, you have to reboot your guest OS.

9. Weavsnake

Weavsnake Bit poster

I set up a USB drive for Parallels tools for Windows. When I plug into the guest OS (Lion) there is just a bunch of Windows auto-run stuff..? Where can I get new Parallels tools?

10. SylvainP

SylvainP Junior Member

Are you trying to instal OS X as a guest OS on top of a windows host ? That is impossible.

If you have installed your Mountain Lion OS X host on a Lion OS X host, then just follow my instructions, you do not need a USB drive with any software...

11. Weavsnake

Weavsnake Bit poster

No, LOL. Installing Lion VM inside Lion Host (inception style). But when I got the Parallels tools I was installing Windows 8 Preview. If I plug that USB in while using Lion VM it doesn't have any Mac compatible files on it.

12. SylvainP

SylvainP Junior Member

Ok, I think you are just confusing the old way Parallels used to have an extra download file just for the Parallels Tools.

The current version of Parallels Desktop for Mac has Parallels Tools embedded in it, they can only be accessed from the drop down menu under Tools while Parallels is running the virtual machine.

13. Weavsnake

Weavsnake Bit poster

Oh. It's there now! Just needed to restart the VM a few times. Thanks for your help, I think I got it now.

14. SylvainP

SylvainP Junior Member

Enjoy the coolness of Mountain Lion ;-)

15. imacken

imacken Hunter

Can't see how to install Parallels Tools in ML. I select the 'Install PT' from the menu, it comes up with a message 'Click to connect the Parallel Tools Installation CD to this virtual machine', I click, then nothing happens.
    Any ideas?

16. dabe82

dabe82 Bit poster

Hi. It seems that some users here have successfully installed Mountain Lion on Parallels 7. I have tried it too but without success. Also the manual for Lion (http://kb.parallels.com/de/112121) doesn't work. Can someone pls help me and tell me the steps how to install Mountain Lion on Parallels 7? Many thanks in advance!

br Dave

17. imacken

imacken Hunter

I have installed ML fine on PD7. Don't know what you've tried, but you have to 'Open' the InstallESD.dmg file from Parallels and everything should be fine.
    I got Tools to install by installing PD7 from within ML!

18. dabe82

dabe82 Bit poster

I created a USB installatin stick at work (http://kb.parallels.com/de/112121, Step 2) and tried it home. I think i had a problem with the USB stick. I have downloaded the image again at home an tried it with the InstallESD.dmg and now the installation is running. Thank you for your help!

19. AlexMBento

AlexMBento Bit poster

Could someone use the airplay mirroring under PD7 correctly?
    I should have this option in Preferences -> Display, but is not there.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  20. RubenD

RubenD Bit poster

Hi all.. i have a doubt

when i try to install OS X ML, it shows me (in the installation itself) a page tell me the destination disk to re-install OS X… and it's only showing macintosh hd…
    Will this erase my Lion main system?, or it will only re-install it on the virtual machine itself?

thanks