The Parallels Desktop for Mac Tech Guarantee 2013

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Chris@Parallels, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Parallels has announced that our Tech Guarantee is now in place for 2013.
    Full details of the Parallels Tech Guarantee are available at www.parallels.com/techguarantee2013

Customers who purchased a copy of Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac from the Parallels Online Store or an authorized reseller on or after August 15, 2013 are eligible to request an upgrade to a new version of Parallels Desktop for Mac at no charge, subject to certain conditions.
    The conditions covering eligibility for an upgrade include:

Upgrade to the next version of Parallels Desktop at no additional cost if you purchase Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac between August 15th, 2013 and October 31th 2013.
    Must be a qualifying product as mentioned in #1 below. Not qualifying products are mentioned in #2
    Must be purchased from an authorized retailer. Not authorized retailers are specified in #3

1. The following Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac products qualify for the Tech Guarantee:

• Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac Full Version
    • Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac Upgrade
    • Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac Student License
    • Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition
    • Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac - SD card
    • Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac OEM Version when either purchased together with hardware or other approved software products. Customer must supply proof of purchase of hardware/software when requesting their free of charge upgrade.

2. The following Parallels Desktop for Mac products do not qualify for the Tech Guarantee:

• Trial versions of Parallels Desktop for Mac
    • Licenses sold under the Volume License Program including PIK/PIKA and Parallels Desktop for Mac Enterprise Edition Licenses
    • Not-for-resale (NFR) versions
    • OEM Versions that are purchased unlawfully without hardware or qualifying software
    • Parallels Desktop for Mac versions purchased before August 15th 2013

3. Not authorized retailers and reseller include but not limited to:

Products purchased on eBay, Amazon Marketplace and sources that are not Parallels authorized resellers. For more information please visit:
    http://www.parallels.com/about/legal/reseller

4. For customers who purchased directly from Parallels at www.parallels.com

Customers who purchased directly from Parallels during the Tech Guarantee period will be automatically notified when a new version of Parallels Desktop for Mac becomes available. An upgrade key will be sent to the email that was used for purchase. Please do not proactively contact customer service and allow up to two weeks of delivery after the release of a new version.

5. For customers who purchased Upgrade Protection

Customers who purchased Upgrade Protection directly from Parallels will be automatically notified when a new version of Parallels Desktop for Mac becomes available. An upgrade key will be sent to the email that used for purchase. Please do not proactively contact customer service and allow up to two weeks of delivery after the release of a new version.

6. For customers who purchased in Retail or with a Reseller

Customers who purchased a box product or download version (ESD) of Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac or Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition from an authorized reseller must claim an upgrade directly with Parallels. The claim process will be made available at this page once a new version of Parallels Desktop becomes available. Please keep your invoice as proof of purchase for claiming your upgrade.

Please visit www.parallels.com/techguarantee2013 for updates from the Parallels Team.

Chris

2. Abhijit

Abhijit Member

For existing clients (like me) is there any BETA program.
    I run Win7, Win8 & Win8.1 on my Macbook Pro

3. Pchild

Pchild Bit poster

Is Newegg.com an acceptable reseller?

4. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi Pchild - Newegg is one of our partners and purchases will be covered if they meet the Tech Guarantee policies. An explanation of our re-seller policy is available at: http://www.parallels.com/about/legal/reseller/

Thanks for asking!

Chris

5. Pchild

Pchild Bit poster

Awesome, order placed. Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to version 9, and Mavericks.

6. TN2001

TN2001 Bit poster

Ok, Amazon Marketplace purchases are not eligible for Tech Guarantee, but how about Amazon itself? Is amazon.co.uk authorized reseller and licenses bought from there eligible for upgrade? Is there a list of worldwide authorized resellers somewhere on Parallels web site?

7. Kaitozaki

Kaitozaki Bit poster

Customers who purchased a copy of Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac from the Parallels Online Store or an authorized reseller on or after August 15, 2013 are eligible to request an upgrade to a new version of Parallels Desktop for Mac at no charge, subject to certain conditions.
    The conditions covering eligibility for an upgrade include.....

i dont think this is fair, i order mine online from you guys a month ago, and you only included those who are 15days away from the upgrade, i wasted my money when i could wait for parallels 9, there was no warning stating there will be an upgrade coming or i could have wait, be fair to those who atleast used it for a month or so.
    the below was taken from your site for parallels 6, and it is for one month, why change it to aug 15th????...this is really not fair.

Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac Tech Guarantee

Parallels offered a free of charge upgrade to Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac for all customers who purchased a qualifying copy of Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac or Parallels Desktop 6 Switch to Mac Edition from an authorized reseller or from Parallels directly between August 1st 2011 and October 31st 2011.

8. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi TN2001,

Amazon.co.uk is an authorized reseller. There is not a fully published list on the website of all our our partners globally.

Chris

9. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi Kaitozaki,

Thank you for reaching out, and yes, the dates for the Tech Guarantee this year are different from previous years. Each year we do alter the dates based on a number of different reasons. I have sent you a private message as I have pulled your order in our order processing system and need some additional details.

Chris

10. Kaitozaki

Kaitozaki Bit poster

I have not gotten any private message

11. e2045w

e2045w Bit poster

I also bought Parallels on July 21. No idea that a new version was coming or I would have just waited 3 weeks. A two week window is stingy.

I guess there is a yearly release cycle but as a first time user I sure didn't know about it.

12. Kaitozaki

Kaitozaki Bit poster

got your private msg, but been waiting for days and no email from parallels.

again this is not fair to people who brought at least a month before,

i could have gotten my money back for 60days money back, but i guessed i got scammed,

i found online this is not the first time you guys do this, if this matter doesn't settle i hope someone cracks parallels 9 full version for free use.

13. Copper_DD

Copper_DD Bit poster

I also bought Parallels 8 upgrade on July 21 and have used Parallels for years.. But having purchased an upgrade less than 60 days ago and looking at having to pay for another upgrade really seems like poor customer service.....

14. e2045w

e2045w Bit poster

That's a good point, the terms say there is a 90 day satisfaction guarantee in the United States so I suppose I could somehow return it and buy it again. What a hassle.

http://www.parallels.com/about/legal/eula/

"If you acquired the Software and are located in the United States of America, the following terms and conditions supplement the Agreement and therefore also apply to you:

1 Ninety Day Money Back Guarantee. If you are not completely satisfied with the Software for any reason, you may return the Software, together with your receipt, for a refund of the money you paid for the Software (less shipping, handling, and any applicable taxes) at any time during the ninety (90) day period following the date of purchase."

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  15. e2045w

e2045w Bit poster

Filed a support ticket and got my money back once I referenced the above terms.

16. LaurieK

LaurieK Bit poster

A two week window ... how generous!

So having purchased the product for the first time brand new on July 13th I'm really pleased that what I spent my money on is now out of date in just over a month.

Rip off.

17. Scott-Vta

Scott-Vta Bit poster

Is B&H Photo & Video (bhphotovideo.com) an authorized reseller for purposes of the technology guarantee?

18. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi Scott-Vta,

B&H is an authorized reseller of Parallels. Please feel confident to complete your purchase from them.

Chris

19. Calpike

Calpike Bit poster

HOW LONG should I expect to wait for an upgrade key? I bought a copy of Parallels Desktop 8 on September 22 and completed the "Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac Tech Guarantee Free Upgrade Key Request Form" on September 24. It's been just over a week since I submitted the form. There is no rush, but just curious how long it should take.

20. MarkA2

MarkA2 Bit poster

This "Tech Guarantee" was posted a few days after my 30 day trial warranty period ended, so I had no option to return version 8 and and then purchase version 9. As someone who just purchased a new license in July with my new Mac, it seems quite unfair that I now need to upgrade. I've bought a lot of software over the years and this is the only time I can remember having to pay for an upgrade in such a short period of time. It is really not a matter of the upgrade cost, but the principle of the matter. I would suggest you take a look at the customer service perspective here and how it makes your new customers feel to be asked to upgrade before they've barely had a chance to even use the product (and I get the upgrade pop up message about every day I log in to Parallels). I like the product, just don't like this policy.