El Capitan: Boot Camp Not Getting Recognized By Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Timmy1, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Timmy1

Timmy1 Junior Member

Damn, I got excited to try out the new features in El Capitan that instead of making another virtual machine, installed it on my main OS. I use this for work and i have a boot camp partition that I also use for work (Develop apps that links to our main system [Windows Based])

After I updated to the beta version, I couldn't start up my Boot Camp partition using Parallels, I tried everything. Installing with out a source and trying to select my boot camp, but it can't be found.

I booted off windows so I know its fine, anyone have any suggestions? Am I screwed?

My Boot Camp partition doesn't even show up :\

[​IMG]

2. Best Answer
    Guys, we've change the solution, please check this KB and try again.
    We're waiting for your feedback.

3. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Timmy1,
    This issue may be because of major changes in OS X 10.11 El Capitan. Please refer http://kb.parallels.com/123072 and check if the issue still persisting.

4. LucaC1

LucaC1 Bit poster

NOT WORKING, please advise.
    - I've bought the upgrade to Parallels 10 (running 10.2.1. build 29006)
    - I've followed kb (executed terminal command
    sudo nvram boot-args="`nvram boot-args | awk '{$1=""; print}'` rootless=0"; sudo reboot and MAC (MBA late 2013) correctly rebooted

BUT:
    - existing VM (linked to BOOTCAMP partition still gives the "The Boot Camp partition "/dev/disk0s4" used by Hard Disk 1 is missing" error when booted. In Configuration->Hardware it will list as Hard Disk 1: Source: APPLE SSD SD0256F (disk0); Location: SATA 0:1), which is "seen" as the Boot Camp partition in the drop-down menu, yet it still doesn't boot. <-- this is different from what Timmy1 sees...
    - when trying to create a new VM, I only get options "Install Windows or another OS from a DVD or Image File" and "Migrate Windows from a PC" but, not the "Boot camp" option. Like Timmy1, I don't see any Boot Camp partition if I try to add it to this newly created VM.

Basically, I am stuck. I "saved the day" by importing the Boot Camp hard drive, at the cost of reducing my free space... which is becoming unbearable.

I could do with some assistance... :)

Thanks.

mikezoom likes this.
  5. mikezoom

mikezoom Bit poster

exactly same happening for me, first the fix worked then i installed to el cap update version 3 and it reverted to this error but this time the script in terminal does not work.

6. Best Answer
    Guys, we've change the solution, please check this KB and try again.
    We're waiting for your feedback.

7. mikezoom

mikezoom Bit poster

after parallels expert fidling with my mac book remotely this does not work for me, i appear to be worse off in that windows hangs and screen says "trying to boot from sata drive 1........
    update i am able to load windows out side of mac but it has lost my windows registration data so thinks its an unlicensed copy

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  8. magnard

magnard Bit poster

Untitled.jpg Untitled2.jpg View attachment 10195 View attachment 10196
    I followed this and it enables the Bootcamp partition to be seen and selected but I still get 'there is no operating system installed in this virtual machine message'.

ChrischiK likes this.
  9. Raymondd3

Raymondd3 Bit poster

I am having the same problem. The KB does not work for me because I do not have Security Configuration from the Utilities menu available in recovery mode.

10. hamid

hamid Bit poster

after upgrade to El Capitan i having the same problem, bootcamp not work and this http://kb.parallels.com/123072 not work because I do not have Security Configuration from the Utilities menu available in recovery mode on El Capitan.

after search, i found command for disable security configuration, on recovery mode, run Terminal and run:
    csrutil disable

and restart!
    my boot camp error solved and run!

11. Guys, in order to investigate the issue further, please generate the problem report using this KB and reply us back with the report ID.

12. Raymondd3

Raymondd3 Bit poster

That will be a problem because parallels can not find my boot camp image. Therefore I can not start Parallels and generating an erroreport is impossible.

I have tried this KB http://kb.parallels.com/123072 but I don't have the option Security Configuration from the Utilities menu available in recovery mode. So I am stuck now. I would like a solution to this problem!

ChrischiK likes this.
  13. JohnC8

JohnC8 Bit poster

I have the exact same issue. KB http://kb.parallels.com/123072 is no longer helpful because looks like Apple has removed the option Security Configuration from the Utilities menu in El Capitan recovery mode.
    Please update the KB to include instructions to use Terminal and command line to disable security configuration as suggested by Hamid above:
    In recovery mode, run Terminal and run:
    csrutil disable

This worked for me but disabling security configuration is a temp workaround. Looking forward to a secure and permanent solution.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    StephenA2 likes this.
  14. Raymondd3

Raymondd3 Bit poster

This also worked for me but I do not like disabling security. Look forward for a resolution.

15. Guys, we need a bit more information to find the permanent resolution. Please generate the problem report using this KB once the issue reoccurs and reply us back with the report number. This information will help us to find out the root cause of the issue.

16. StephenA2

StephenA2 Bit poster

Also worked for me :) I have my w7 bootcamp back, thanks!

17. RikG1

RikG1 Bit poster

Worked for me! Hamid tnx a lot!

18. JonathanB4

JonathanB4 Bit poster

In recovery mode, run terminal on Mac side or Bootcamp side? Thanks. How do you boot into recovery mode? Still new to Macs, sorry to ask.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  19. RikG1

RikG1 Bit poster

On mac side. Restart your mac and hold alt-key. Then choose recovery.

20. ChrischiK

ChrischiK Bit poster

greetings from Berlin... here the same problems after upgrade to el cap

I have exactly the messages like magnard...
    so I did your kbs....
    pressed "-" and tried after that "+".... but there was no bootcamp... only f****** images...
    I searched in the recovery, but found no menu or button or icon "security...." ...
    when I started I get the same message: "no boot device is available. press enter to continue"

and again:
    I cannot create any reports - cause my hard disk can't be found by parallels... parallels don't started!!!!

and I have no terminal in the recovery....

I'm "confused"....
    thats the easy-word... ;)

so... what can I do, to find my boot device???
    but, please!!!!, no answer with: new install... ;)

in Berlin its late...
    good night...

21. TomS4

TomS4 Bit poster

I, too, had the same issue, and was able to resolve it by disabling the security integration in recovery mode, but to get into recovery mode I had to press <command+R>. I am very concerned about doing this. I don't even know how to undo what I just did... I am already unhappy with Parallels. This may push me to look for alternatives.