Windows 10 will not launch after latest update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JohnP8, Dec 29, 2015.

1. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

I'm going to try the suggestion to create a new VM and copy the .hdd file as noted in this article. To see if that works, if so, I'm interested to do a diff. I was too frustrated last week to give this a shot as it seemed out of the question to me at the time.

@Marat@Parallels:
    If I still run into an issue, I will generate a problem report & upload the memory dump file. Thanks for the instructions.

BTW: Thank you for posting the link to the previous version of PD11, much appreciated!

2. ViS

ViS Junior Member

The old version 11.1.1 work without bluescreens.
    The new version 11.1.2 causes bluescreen after standby.

3. Tony_Pitman

Tony_Pitman Junior Member

I was having this same problem. I followed the instructions to manually edit the config file and set the VirtualizedHV to 0 (mine was indeed at 1).
    The VM then booted fine and installed the tools.
    I then rebooted. I then decided to see what would happen if I reenabled the VirtualizedHV, but first I saw that right below that setting is another one called VirtualizedPMU. I decided to turn them both on and see what would happen.
    The VM booted just fine. I then turned the PMU one back off so now basically everything is as it was before the upgrade.
    The VM boots just fine. I don't know whether it was just a conflict while installing the parallels tools or whether turning on the PMU and then back off helped.
    So now I have a windows 10 development VM with VirtualizedHV turned to 1 and it doesn't crash.

4. Tony_Pitman

Tony_Pitman Junior Member

Guess I spoke too soon. It didn't crash with a BSOD, but just locked up tight. Can't get any response out of it. Going to turn the setting back off and see what happens.

5. JanneH1

JanneH1 Bit poster

Our company has 2 MBP:s running Windows 10 in Parallels using nested virtualization (for Windows Phone Emulator). We are also facing very serious issues with latest Parallels update (mainly BSOD with memory management error, IRQ error, critical process error, etc). Now downgrading to previous version to see if it will work.

6. NielsF

NielsF Bit poster

The downgrade to 11.1.1 fixed it for me. Will wait for Parallels to bring out a better tested version

7. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

8. BenoitR

BenoitR Bit poster

Having the same issue. Downgrading to 11.1.1 fixed it. Ya blew it, Parallels.

9. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi all, please try disabling "Nested Virtualization" and check how it goes. Open virtual machine configure > Hardware > CPU & memory > Advanced settings> Disable Nested Virtualization.

10. ViS

ViS Junior Member

But I need the Nested Virtualization!

11. IgorG1

IgorG1 Bit poster

a. I need Nested Virtualisation
    b. Still crashing
    The only way to fix - downgrade to 11.1.1

12. NielsF

NielsF Bit poster

- and as someone else wrote earlier: there is no advanced option.
    You can go Hardware > CPU & memory and that's it:
    upload_2016-1-6_23-8-30.png

13. marat_t

marat_t Pro

14. BenoitR

BenoitR Bit poster

Didn't work for me. Still crashes.

15. wbtrans

wbtrans Bit poster

Hi Druba
    In my case "Nested Virtualization" was off already. I solved the problem by going back to version 11.1.1 (build 32312).
    The problem with 11.1.2 showed up in a Windows 10 VM: as soon as one was logged in, it would use in average of 45% CPU and around 90% disk activity and the Windows Update function for example could not be launched anymore. Also, clicking on the Start button would not show the Start menu, just nothing happened. I did not have any blue screens, but it was impossible to work with the VM.
    You seem to have a serious problem with this build.
    I don't know whether the problem is limited to Windows 10 VMs, but my other VMs with Windows 7 for example seemed to work fine with 11.1.2.
    Walter

16. NathanaelB1

NathanaelB1 Bit poster

I had major issues with Windows 8.1 after installing 11.1.2-32408 that were noticeable immediately. The VM would crash or freeze when coming out of standby, and switching back to the OS X desktop (I'm using Full Screen) would cause the guest OS to crash frequently as well.

I'm frustrated by the lack of quality control on this build. As users of an expensive software product, we should not have to worry about whether an update has been QCed or not.

I've downgraded to 11.1.1 (thanks for the link), and will report back whether this helps.

mrutter likes this.
  17. DanielN3

DanielN3 Bit poster

I'm also having the same problem as everyone else! The upgrade to 11.1.2 (32408) is a real nightmare for me.
    @parallels you should see that a lot of people have problems with this update and you main priority should be to fix this ASAP. To disable nested virtualization isn't really an option as this is a vital part of your product!

What are you trying to do to fix this issue??

mrutter likes this.
  18. mrutter

mrutter Member

I know this does not add any information to this thread, but I full agree with TS-Micah and I would like to point out his rant: the last two/three updates are heavily unstable. It reminds me to some years ago when the relation between releases and issues was 1=1 :(

@Paralles: I appreciate your work but please remember that we are not tester; we need tested and stable releases. Moreover, many (if not most) of us are developers and these problems are very serious. Thank you for your attention and interest with our business.

Joseph H and DanielN3 like this.
  19. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

I fortunately did not install this update, but I have to agree with the many comments already mentioned, that sadly the past few updates have seriously lacked little if any quality control. We are not test bed for Parallels software unless requested under specific Beta testing guidelines. This is not a test bed or beta scenario, but where many are using Parallels in production environments or for personal use which is equally important.

This update should have been pulled long ago, but so far it is still available for many others to experience these issues unless they happen to view this forum. Therefore If Parallels are still reading this forum and this issue, please see sense and pull this update to stop others experiencing this problem. This is the very least you can do.
    Kevin

20. wbtrans

wbtrans Bit poster

I fully agree with this. I can understand that it may take Parallels some time to find out what exactly the issues are and to get them fixed, but the first thing they should do in this case, is to withdraw this faulty build (from the numerous complaints on this forum, it should be clear by now that a major problem exists with this build).
    @parallels: How many users do you still want to upset by downloading this faulty build (which is advertised as solving many problems and therefore appealing to be downloaded) and spending hours to try to find out why it does not work properly?
    Walter

BenoitR, Joseph H and mrutter like this.