Beware Parallels 11.1.2 and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MikeL6, Dec 30, 2015.

1. MikeL6

MikeL6 Bit poster

Updated to 11.1.2 today and got Windows 10 VM BSOD - various errors inc memory management, critical process died etc etc
    Looked like this was due to corrupt Windows install so went through usual troubleshooting for Win 10 to no avail.
    Finally copied back old PVM and still getting BSOD.
    Turns out it is most likely due to this latest update...other post suggests changing number of processors from 2 to 4 (why was this changed by the update??)
    Reverted back to 4 and VM now booting but now unable to install Parallels tools...

What a waste of a day... :-((

AllanS1 likes this.
  2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Please submit a Problem Report ID http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the ID number here, to investigate further on this issue.

3. CamiloF1

CamiloF1 Bit poster

@MikeL6 I agree. Lost a lot of time yesterday and did not even want to gather the data to send a Report to parallels. What I did this morning was try restarting the machine several times until it worked so I could remove parallels tools. After turning off the machine, I reverted Parallels back to 11.1.1 and then reinstalled parallels tools. Everything works fine again.
    I'll upgrade again when parallels fixes these issues

4. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi all, please create an empty virtual machine and check how it goes. Refer to this article.

5. AllanS1

AllanS1 Junior Member

I just updated to 11.1.2 and now i cannot run windows 8.1 or windows 10. Both OS's keep crashing with memory errors. They worked fine until this update.
    Others are having the same problem. I am stuffed until Parallels fix this problem!
    Please fix, Parallels! I have tried different settings including disk size, disk clean up, ram size, number of cores (from 1 to 4). Nothing works and am afraid I'm going to break my VM's if they blue screens any more.
    I can't afford to spend days re-creating VM's just because Parallels can't test their software properly before release. This is not on!
    My suggestion - Don't Update if you haven't already.
    Please can someone advise me when a fix will be available because if it won't be in the next 2 days i need to waste a lot of my valuable time reinstalling old backups and downgrading Parallels.

6. AllanS1

AllanS1 Junior Member

Update: I have created a support request and will update this thread if I receive any useful information.

7. marat_t

marat_t Pro

8. AnielloG

AnielloG Bit poster

Hi, I've same problem with Windows 10 after update to 11.1.2. After disabling nested virtualization the issue go away. I'll wait patch release. Thanks.

9. KurtSc

KurtSc Bit poster

10. CamiloF1

CamiloF1 Bit poster

I followed the instrucions from @Dhruba@Parallels and made it work. The problem now is that activation is screwed on windows and I can't activate windows 10 with a windows 8 key unless I downgrade. Not nice

11. ccw

ccw Bit poster

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm also seeing this issue with Windows 10 VM. Can't get past the login screen, if I even see that. I've seen the following BSOD errors: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.

Fortunately I have a full clone that I can revert back to, before the new Parallels tools were installed so I'm going to give that a shot. Hopefully this is fixed ASAP as it completely breaks Windows.

UPDATE: Disabling Nested Virtualization worked for me! Full details below.

I reverted to my clone and was experiencing the same blue screens. Note that this is strictly with 11.1.2 installed, but not the newest Parallels Tools. I then tried the suggestion of disabling Nested Virtualization which worked. The machine was able to boot, it installed the newest Parallels Tools and rebooted successfully.

So, if you're experiencing this problem try disabling Nested Virtualization. Hopefully it works for you, too!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  12. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi all, please disable "Nested Virtualization" that should fix the issue.

13. ccw

ccw Bit poster

Dhruba, now that we have a temporary workaround (for those of us who don't need nested virtualization regularly), do you know if a fix is actively being worked on? I also know it's a long shot, but do you have a rough timeline for when the fix will be released?

Thanks,
    Colin

14. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hi Colin,
    We've escalated issue to Development and work is in progress. However, there are no any time frames so far. Judging the last year experience with Parallels Desktop 10, update 1 hotfix 3 was released in the end of January. However, this is all just guesses as no one here has this information =(

15. ccw

ccw Bit poster

Fair enough, Marat. Thanks for the quick responses. I really appreciate it! Good to hear this has been escalated to development.

16. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Thank you for your patience and co-operation, Colin!

17. JimA1

JimA1 Bit poster

I also updated to 11.1.2 today :(
    Can't use my W8 any longer, please keep us posted with status of patches.
    Have you pulled the plug on the update server to avoid troubling other users?

Regards,
    Jim

18. EricN2

EricN2 Bit poster

Can confirm, seeing same issues after updating to 11.1.2 this morning. My Windows 10 VM now constantly Blue Screens at either boot or login with CRITICAL_PROCESS_FAILED. If, by luck, I'm able to get window Windows, it will eventually become unresponsive after a few minutes and Explorer will crash.

I cannot believe this update wasn't pulled after these issues were reported. What garbage.

19. ccw

ccw Bit poster

Just to make sure, Jim and Eric, have you tried disabling Nested Virtualization as mentioned above? This worked for me and got me back up and running.

20. JimA1

JimA1 Bit poster

Hi Colin and thanks for the thought! Already done here.