Windows 10 hibernate and fast startup

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GabrielL1, Jun 24, 2016.

1. GabrielL1

GabrielL1 Junior Member

Hi,

Complex question: I have Windows 10 on bootcamp and access it via parallels.
    I would like to use fast startup option.
    It works well when I use bootcamp but can't activate it on Parallels. Powercfg doesn't works on parallels.
    2 questions:
    - is it possible to have the hibernate option on Windows 10 on parallels? (Required to use the fast startup option)
    - if yes, can we use it in both bootcamp and parallels? Today if I start Windows on parallels, it clears the ram and it has a normal startup.

Hope it's clear.

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello GaberieL1, Powercfg doesn't work on Parallels Desktop. It is a limitation of a Boot Camp based Virtual Machine. So, it's not possible to have the hibernate option on Windows 10 based Bootcamp virtual machine on Parallels Desktop.

3. FernandoP5

FernandoP5 Bit poster

Hi,
    I am going crazy...my virtual windows 10 doesn't have the hibernate option, but the system creates the file hiberfil.sys which has the size of 8G and consumes a large space of my hard drive. Because the "powercfg -h off" option doesn't work, I don't know how to disable or delete the hiberfil.sys file, and I need that disk space.
    Please help me with a solution.

4. MarcinM7

MarcinM7 Bit poster

I had similar issues not being able to get rid of hiberfil.sys file on Windows 10 VM, but finally I managed to delete the obsolete file (it wasn't used as Parallels deactivates hibernation completely) using del /A S hiberfil.sys command from "root" folder C:\ (after CD\ command)using elevated command line tool (CMD run as Administrator) after booting into Safe Mode (I'm not sure if safe mode is needed, but I was already in safe mode when I figured out the del command has the option to force deletion if system files). If it doesn't work itself, you can try to change the Registry key CustomizeDuringSetup set to 0 (from 1) in following location: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power using regedit in elevated mode and then reboot into safe mode and then retry the deletion command.